Is it neccesary to remove uneaten crickets?

howdy

I remove crickets from my cages when they don't get eaten for a few reasons.

1. They will not be gutloaded if left in the cage and eaten later.

2. They will crawl around in all the nastiest spots in the cage picking up bacteria and such.

and
3. They can chew on your cham while sleeping, causing irritation, possibly infection.

I avoid having uneaten crickets by keeping my chams fairly hungry... that way they eat the gutloaded/dusted crix get gobbled up as soon as they go in the cage.

Hope this Helps,

Todd

3. They can chew on your cham while sleeping, causing irritation, possibly infection.

The main reason, in my opinion.
This is a very real risk.
Have you ever tried waking your chameleon at night? They sleep hard!
Crickets chewing holes in them won't wake them either!:eek:

-Brad

You will find catching crickets much easier if you provide food/moisture for them in a place to hide. The crickets will largely gather there.
Because I provide the above (gutload) fresh daily at the same place in the cage, and I closely monitor my chams intake and crickets numbers daily, never having too many crickets (more than he will eat daily) in the cage at any one time, I dont need to bother re-catching uneaten ones.
NOTE: Other factors come into play, such as the large size of my cage. Cricket feeder/hide is far from his sleeping perch, hence nothing to attract crickets near him while he sleeps. This works for me, with many species and has done for many years, however, I am currently present (retired) more than most of you, and therefore have the opportunity to be sure of this method.
If you work long hours or are not present at night, you might choose to do the daily cricket chase instead to ensure your animal/s wellbeing. :)

Thanks for the help guys. Last night was the first night that I collected any uneaten crickets. It was a little tricky and Camille didn't seem to like me all over her enclosure, but it felt better to know that the little critters would no longer be able to chomp on her at night while she sleeps.

Try cup feeding - then you won't have to catch any!!:D YUK! I don't like crickets, but I deal with them cos Lily likes them!!

Try cup feeding - then you won't have to catch any!!:D YUK! I don't like crickets, but I deal with them cos Lily likes them!!

I free range crickets in the morning. I put in about half of what my cham will eat for the day. This way I am better able to watch for stragglers during the day, which has never been an issue! My guy loves the hunt. I bowl feed the rest in the afternoon. He's not so excited about the bowl, but seems more willing to eat from it after his morning hunt!! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom