Remove Uneaten Feeders or Leave Them as a Snack for Later?

Masterplan

Hi all,

Quick question: what is the best practice for crickets languishing in the feeder cup uneaten? My juvenile seems to have eaten his fill and has moved on to basking and exploring. What's the best practice for uneaten feeders? Take them out or leave them there for a possible snack later on? I don't want to establish a bad habit (i.e. I was always told to not leave food in our dog's bowl for all-day grazing!). Let me know what the best practice on this is. Thanks!

Hi there welcome to the forum. How many is your cham eating per day now vs how many are you giving? Typically you will feed them in the morning and leave them during the day. I typically pull any uneaten feeders at the end of the day. This way those can be gutloaded again and supplemented.

Perfect. I am feeding ~15-20 a day, 1/4" - 5/16" / day, give or take and he is eating what I would guess is right about 15. My panther chameleon is almost 4 mos. old. Today is Day 5 in his "forever home" and he seems to be doing great. Very alert/active.

Perfect. I am feeding ~15-20 a day, 1/4" - 5/16" / day, give or take and he is eating what I would guess is right about 15. My panther chameleon is almost 4 mos. old. Today is Day 5 in his "forever home" and he seems to be doing great. Very alert/active.
All of this sounds really good. If you see a drop off in eating that is a warning sign. At this age they typically can easily take down 2 dozen in a day. If you have any additional questions please let us know.

i empty the cup/bowl/tuppaware back into the bin before bed.

feeders could be dead, or eat each other overnight, or the chirping starts...

If your little one eats one bad dead cricket he may puke it up, it may sour his taste for them and start a feeder strike.

Hi there welcome to the forum. How many is your cham eating per day now vs how many are you giving? Typically you will feed them in the morning and leave them during the day. I typically pull any uneaten feeders at the end of the day. This way those can be gutloaded again and supplemented.
I do the same think with all of my feeders :)

Back
Top Bottom