Is it hard to breed insects as a beginner?

kyle0417

Established Member
I want to do something like mealworm farms I've seen on YouTube. What would be best for a beginner? (if it's even a good idea)

Depends, what do you plan on breeding, and how are you going to do it? (I wan to tell you tips based on what you know already) Getting a chameleon can be a huge investment when it comes to feeders and can make your wallet run dry. So yes, I would breed feeders, it is not hard, but tell us how you plan on doing it. (Make sure your parents or anybody you are living with are okay with it, sometime it smells, etc.)

Yes, its pretty easy, but as mentioned above it can get a little stinky if you dont stay on top of things. There is also the possibility of escapees, so make sure your folks or whoever are ok with that. That said, after your initial investment, it is cheaper and much more convenient than having to run and get feeders every week.

BTW, stay away from mealworms and go with superworms. Mealworms are not very nutritious and can be tough for chams to digest.

Since you are just beginning the hobby, I would suggest that before you begin breeding feeders, get a supply coming in with various types of feeders. Lindasgonebuggie.com in the East Coast, and Mulberryfarms.com in the west coast allow you to order small amounts at a fair price.

CHEERS!

Nick

I still have to buy in foods but I have a colony of Dubia and I love the constant supply of food they give me for the Chameleons, as everyone will tell you they are pretty easy to care for and don’t smell, financially having this free food really helps me too.
I don’t breed anything else but I do buy in silkworm eggs sometimes and raise them, not free but eggs are certainly cheaper than worms but they do take time to care for them, I also grow stick insects and they make nice pets and provide variety in the animals diet.

Dubias are easy, get a 35 gal plastic tub with a top. Cut a hole in the top 6"x12" and silicone a piece of screen over it for ventilation. Buy some egg crates and a starter colony of Dubia. Feed the roaches roach food (available online) and fresh fruits and veggies. In no time you will have a thriving colony. I have so many Dubias I would gladly give some away.

Roaches are probably the easiest. They jus take longer than crickets or they would have replaced them. Chams are known for growing that red of dubias though. Consider green banana roaches r orange heads.

Depends, what do you plan on breeding, and how are you going to do it? (I wan to tell you tips based on what you know already) Getting a chameleon can be a huge investment when it comes to feeders and can make your wallet run dry. So yes, I would breed feeders, it is not hard, but tell us how you plan on doing it. (Make sure your parents or anybody you are living with are okay with it, sometime it smells, etc.)
Did you make it to the Taylor show today?

What is the Taylor show?
Sorry what was for Kyle 0417. It’s a monthly show with Chameleons, spiders,scorpions and feeder insects and more. In Taylor Michigan. Someone did have a Parsons at 1000.00 bucks.
I got hornworms for 10.00 - 25 count . That wasn’t bad though.

Sorry what was for Kyle 0417. It’s a monthly show with Chameleons, spiders,scorpions and feeder insects and more. In Taylor Michigan. Someone did have a Parsons at 1000.00 bucks.
I got hornworms for 10.00 - 25 count . That wasn’t bad though.
Sounds like an amazing show! Wish I could be there!

Back
Top Bottom