Is is safe to put the bulbs directly on top of my mesh cage?

Veildz

I recently purchased a male veiled chameleon around 1 year old, the heat and humidity in his cage is good but the lady I bought him from has one of the bulbs hanging inside the cage. I know this isn't safe so I was wondering if I have to buy another stand to suspend the bulb above the mesh, or can I just put it on top of the mesh? Thanks!

If it's a form of metal like aluminum yes it would be fine, but if it's the vinyl screen I don't think I would put a heat lamp on it. If it is stiff then it's a good chance it's a form of metal. If it is softer, and more pliable then I would say it's vinyl. I have never owned vinyl screen so I could be mistaken. I hope this helps :)

You'll need a temp gun to check and know for sure, your chameleon shouldn't be able to reach anything hotter than around 95 surface temp.

fire hazard if it's in direct contact with the mesh if it's vinyl but even if it's metal like the commonly used aluminum ones , chameleons can usually get around the top part of the cage since it's also a screen mesh. so i'd try mounting the heat lamp where it doesn't make any contact to avoid accidental contact to your pet also some mesh cages use plastic frames which can warp or even melt if it's close to the lamp. as a safe guard i use a zilla (thermostat/temp) controller that will turn off the light when it reaches the desired temp. of the area the probe is at like example the basking area. it will also kill power to whatever is connected to it if temperatures gets extremely hot as a safety measure. another cheap tip i can give u is always provide a cool spot or shaded area your animal can go to since it doesn't take long to over heat any reptile by accident even just allowing your pet to bask in natural sun light can kill them if they have no place to escape the sun if it gets too hot .

I have seen my chameleons (especially when they are little) at times hanging/crawling around upside down on the top, inside the cage. If warm stuff is directly on the mesh, your chameleon could get burned! So I personally do not put it directly on the mesh.

Mine is directly on the aluminium mesh and my little guy climbs on the roof, but he avoids the bulb.

I think he knows it's too hot. Some don't though.

Back
Top Bottom