Is her cage too crowded?

Crickity

Hello everyone I just bought a large plant for her cage and it’s pretty big? I’m wondering if her cage is too crowded or if it’s fine, I know she needs a larger cage but this will have to work for now, open to any new ideas. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 135
I don't know about the crowding part, but you're lighting is incorrect and your female could be gravid, hard to tell from here. You need a linear t5 ho 5.0 uvb bulb. Also the enclosure is rather small. Please fill this out so we can help you.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Ok no problem!
  • My Chameleon- Veiled, female, 5 months
  • Handling- I been handing her often to add stuff to her cage and get natural sunlight, she likes to hide in my blinds and soak it all up. Should I not handle her for a couple weeks?
  • Supplements- ReptiCalcium every feeding, supplements and vitamins with d3 once every 2 weeks
  • Watering- I have a dripper and mister. I mist her 3 times a day for 30 seconds each time
  • Fecal description- soft firm turds and very white urinateShe’s very hydrated, poops about once every other day. No she’s never been tested for parasites
  • Additional info- I just moved her in about 5 days ago and her colors were fine at first now she’s been brownish/ dark green most of the day unless I put her in my window seal to soak up the heat
Cage info:
  • All screen cage, 1ft wide 2 ft high
  • Zoo med tropical uvb & heat lamp (I’m getting a t5 heat lamp soon just ordered one)
  • Temperature- basking spot is usually 82 degrees F Lowest overnight temp is 73 and I measure these temperatures with a digital thermometer
  • Plants- one large hibiscus
  • My cage is located on top of my dresser and stands 5ft 4 inches from top of cage to floor.
  • West coast. CA

Looks like she is able to get through it well. I would consider upgrading her cage sooner then later though. Just fyi on the hibiscus they require lots of lighting. I am sorry to say it will die off in there with what you have. Glad you ordered the T5HO hopefully you got the 5.0 bulb for it. This will require a 9 inch distance between the basking branch and the bottom of the fixture so you may need to raise it up since dropping the basking branch is not really an option.

You could trim it back? But if i were you I'd just get the bigger cage, she looks like she wants to go higher! Definitely get the t5ho @Beman if she got a few she could probably keep that hibiscus live, no?

You could trim it back? But if i were you I'd just get the bigger cage, she looks like she wants to go higher! Definitely get the t5ho @Beman if she got a few she could probably keep that hibiscus live, no?
I was jw cuz i was thinking of getting one too and i have 2 t5ho and one with the arcadia bulb. Will that work? So 3 lights all toogether
Honestly I do not mess with them in my indoor cages... I do run two additional T5 lights with 6500 daylight bulbs. But I am not sure what the best option is for hibiscus when it comes to lighting. I believe @MissSkittles has one in her indoor enclosure.

Definitely upgrade, she looks cramped! Get an 18x18x36 or larger.
Also, is that really a hibiscus in there? Hibiscus leaves are (usually, if not always??) serrated, and the habit looks strange.
Great catch!!!!!!!!!!! I just assumed it was because it was so large.

Back
Top Bottom