Is he overweight?

Harry The Cham

Established Member
my veiled chameleon seems to be a little chubby:). I'm not sure if this is normal for a growing chameleon or if I should lay back on the food here's a few pics of him

Attachments

• IMG_1403.JPG
    IMG_1403.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 1,286
  • IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 235
I think you are fine with what you have. You may want to think about ditching the mealworms, though. They are not good for digestion and they can cause impaction.

I mean, yes, but it is a risk you may not want to run. For example, if he eats a mealworm and it is right before you turn his lights out, depending on how well he chewed it, it could stay alive in their stomach. I have heard of cases like this happening to the chameleons at my local reptile store that were fed mealworms, and they highly discourage the use of mealworms for chameleons. It is entirely your choice, though.

I wouldn't feed mealworms at all, they shouldn't cause an impaction to a healthy chameleon, but they're also pretty much worthless for nutrition. If you want to give a treat once a week use superworms. Give a little more variety, gutload everything well. Also I think your he is a she, but I can't tell entirely from the picture. The back heels will have spikes if they are male.

It seems like it might be a male because of the casque and bright colors, but I may be wrong. Like @jamest0o0 said, it is hard to tell from the picture. That is just my speculation.

This is 1,000,000% a male. The colors alone make it very clear.
Plus males and female veiled chameleons have a different pattern. For the males, they have those thick yellow stripes running vertically, and there are usually 3 or 4. For females, the stripes are broken up a bit and there are more of them. Just what I have experienced.

@CJ's Exotics @Syreptyon my fault for suggesting it. I thought the patterns were probably male after I said that. The legs looked thin and i thought it was missing spurs so i was a little confused. I haven't kept a veiled so I wasn't sure. There's no need to bash over it, I'm sure others have corrected you guys in other threads...

Back
Top Bottom