Is he(if it is a he?) Healthy?

Helios

Your Chameleon - Blue Bar Ambilobe I think it is a He? Only had him for a day and a half
Handling - Have not yet
Feeding - Small Crickets he ate 8 yesterday today i fed him 11 not all are eaten yet i think 5 or 6 are left I will remove them before his bedtime
Supplements - Have only used ZooMed Repti Calcium Once(this morning when I fed him)
Watering - Habba Mist and Hand Mister(Habba is set to 60sec every 3 hrs, I hand mist about twice to 3 times a day just to make sure)
Fecal Description - Picture is provided(idk how to descibe it really) Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No not that I know
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I had a local pet store order him I picked him up as soon as he came in. I wanted as little number of people handling his care as possible

Cage Info:
Cage Type - All Screen, 16" x 16" x 20"
Lighting - Repta Sun 5.0 UVB 18" Fluorescent Bulb, Basking is 36 watt Reptile bulb He is on a 12 hr. Regiment 8 a.m. to 8p.m.
Temperature - Basking holds at about 83-85 Floor: around 70-74 Lowest overnight temp? 64 How do you measure these temps? Digital temp gauge
Humidity - Doesnt drop below 40% How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Habba Mist with Hand Misting What do you use to measure humidity? Digital Combo Temp/Humid gauge
Plants - None real ones yet
Placement - Where is your cage located? Corner of my bedroom Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? about 5.5'
Location - Where are you geographically located? USA Auburn Alabama(North Eastern part of the state)

Current Problem - He seems to close his eye sometimes as far as I can tell he only closes one not both I just want to make sure he seems healthy I've done like 3 months of research on all this before I orderd him I had his cage all setup and ready but he was smaller than i thought and so i set up the smaller cage please let me know what i need to change or if he is sick or anything you can notice in the pictures, His cage is lined with news papers i thought i would try that but in his big cage i have drainage setup and will only use the pvc bottom. I plan on changing them like every other day, If he is sleeping during the day today I wonder if he may just have been exhausted from all the traveling, could be a dumb idea but I just want to be an overly careful parent and i hope im freaking out over nothing thanks for any advice given, also the pet store owner said he was to young to know for sure if he is a male or female so any info on that would be great thanks!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60614250@N08/5521338780/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60614250@N08/5521338546/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60614250@N08/5521338280/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60614250@N08/5520746899/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60614250@N08/5521470056/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60614250@N08/5521470352/in/photostream/
P.S. in all but the last picture he had just been misted so he was wet, also i have a monsoon on the way it was backorderd the stupid habba is a loaner and i was wondering if it would be better to set it to mist for like 30 sec every hour thank 60 sec every 3hrs. no one ever answered the best druation combo on other threads thanks and when can i put him in his bigger cage?

He/She looks very young and very thin. Try fattening him up by offering him wax worms, baby horn and silk worms. Offer crickets at every other feeding between the worms so that he doesn't stop eating the crickets all together. Dust with calcium at every feeding and calcium with d3 2-3 times a month. The sleeping during the day is the biggest concern. Make sure he is getting lots of light through his mesh cage or move him near a window so that he will get plenty of light. If he still sleeps during the day add more light!

I would addd some more plants to your enclosure!Preferably real ones, but fake are ok just as long as he is provided more coverage. He has nowhere to hide out and feel safe. Not saying that has anything to do with the eye issue but just something that needs to be changed. You only have that one tiny little plant in the corner and it looks so bare.

When I started taking care of Leroy he also had an eye issue. He would keep his left eye closed for long periods of time. The previous owner never gave him supplements EVER. Once I started feeding him right and giving him the supplements he needed his eye started to open back up. I read that vit A deficiency will do this. I have never owned a baby cham so I have no expierence with what supplements to give them and how much and when. I am just throwing this idea out there.

He/She looks very young and very thin. Try fattening him up by offering him wax worms, baby horn and silk worms. Offer crickets at every other feeding between the worms so that he doesn't stop eating the crickets all together. Dust with calcium at every feeding and calcium with d3 2-3 times a month. The sleeping during the day is the biggest concern. Make sure he is getting lots of light through his mesh cage or move him near a window so that he will get plenty of light. If he still sleeps during the day add more light!

Thanks for all the advice everyone, how many a day and how big and how best to feed them to him like one by one or what? If i put a cricket infront of him he will snatch it up so he is hungry and eating, how old would you think he is? It would help to know. Also i will do the calcium and begin giving him a multivitamin on a regular schedule and should i be leaving some crickets in with him throught the day to make sure he can eat as much as he likes i would only leave a few of course

i don't know much about really young chameleons, but yours looks to be between 2 and 5 months. his poop (although it made me lose my appetite) looks relatively healthy and shows he is very well hydrated. don't leave crickets in there loose, but if you find a type of dish he will eat out of that crickets can't get out of, you can leave some in there. i have heard of loose crickets going after a lazy chameleon's eyes, so a little precaution can't hurt

i don't know much about really young chameleons, but yours looks to be between 2 and 5 months. his poop (although it made me lose my appetite) looks relatively healthy and shows he is very well hydrated. don't leave crickets in there loose, but if you find a type of dish he will eat out of that crickets can't get out of, you can leave some in there. i have heard of loose crickets going after a lazy chameleon's eyes, so a little precaution can't hurt

Yea that's what I was thinking age wise, I wanted to let him just hunt them but I think until he gets a bit fatter I'll cup feed him like you suggest or maybe half and half, I think the eye thing was premature he seems to be doin much better atleast hasn't been closing his eye but I'm worried about him being so skinny although he has a healthy appetite and eats every cricket I set infront of him, tomorrow I'll be getting him some of the worms mentioned earlier and keep working on fattening him up, also I added more cover in his cage he def likes it

I have seen here last couple of days about helping members or not giving proper advice. And look at this thread, a new person like me asking for help and people step up and give great help and answers. This is why I come here once a day, thank you for the help and treating new people with respect :)

I personally love to hand feed as its more entertaining for me and allows me to directly see how much they are eating. You don't want to hand feed at every feeding though because then they will only hand feed and this will put you in a bind. Maybe hand feed once after every two cup feedings.

Also he is def not sleeping during the day, he was up all day today, can I hold off on te calcium with d3 and just do calcium without D3 evey feeding, I don't want to over suppliment of he isn't sleeping. EDIT:Today when i came home from work i caught him with his eyes closed so ill be checking on him as much as possible to make sure i am not wrong but i did get Fluker Labs SFK73002 Repta Vitamins with Beta Carotene today and it has D3, so should i still get calcium with D3 as well or would this be enought? and i'd like to personally thank you movieman for all the help, Also I only was able to get meal worms and i told the pet store owner to find me some silk worms will the meal worms help fatten him up if i give him a few in a cup a day? and i was wondering if i can do the meal worms in the cup but let a few crickets free roam while dusting the worms with the multivitamen with d3 and the crickets with calcium without d3? Sorry for all the questions I thought i had everything worked out like i knew enought to take care of him and then this all happened

ok so nevermind he def is sleeping during the day tomorrow i will open my blinds and let more natural light in also i have calcium with d3 and waxworms getting overnighted as God is my witness this cham will get healthy and live

Back
Top Bottom