Is gaping normal?

flashjord101

I've had my PC for about 3 weeks now. He's 2-3 mths old. He's been healthy active. eating well. I recently spotted him basking and gaping, after a good hunt. Is this normal behavior for a pc. I know it is with other lizards. I wanted to make sure it's a warning. the mist king goes off 3 times a day 6 minutes each time. The plant usually dries for about 30-45 minutes in between mists. If gaping is not normal behavior, I was thinking he could be dehydrated?

thank you for your thoughts. I'm new to chameleons and really loving it.

J

There are really two reasons why they will gape. If they are too hot and are tyring to thermoregulate and cool down or they could possibly have a respiratory infection and are having trouble breathing. The only time I have ever seen my chameleon gape is when he is outside(I live in Florida) and he is hot. I never seen him do that after hunting food. What are your cage temps and what type of lighting are you using. They may also gape if they are mad or upset. So I guess three reasons that I can think of!

basking area is at 87. Also using a zoomed reptisun 5.0 UVB. Maybe he was grumpy. I actually just removed a mirror on the wall I think he might have spotted himself in. Temp seems great in the enclosure but does get cool at night (mid to upper 50's). I live near the beach in Venice CA. He's been low in the cage, colder, and dark colored in the morning, but climbs up to warm and turns back to his beautiful self. I assume if he had a respiratory problem he wouldn't be eating so well? He's easily putting back 8-15 small crickets a day. I'll keep monitoring him. Would it make sense to mist more often?
thanks for your help!
J

You really don't want it over about 85 for basking for one that young and shouldn't ever get below 60. I have no idea if that's what the problem is but I have noticed mine do that a time or two but it has always been when the temp was in the 85-88temp

So they're not like Bearded Dragons when they gape? Beardeds gape to thermoregulate and it's completely normal and not dangerous so long as your temps are normal. My dragons do it all the time, but have only seen my Jackson do it once with a temp of 83°.

(Not hijacking, sorry)

So they're not like Bearded Dragons when they gape? Beardeds gape to thermoregulate and it's completely normal and not dangerous so long as your temps are normal. My dragons do it all the time, but have only seen my Jackson do it once with a temp of 83°.

(Not hijacking, sorry)

im pretty sure it helps them vent the heat out, but they shouldnt be kept at temps that will cause them to gape...im not sure about beardies, but you dont want your cham overheating

resp tract infection

I've had my PC for about 3 weeks now. He's 2-3 mths old. He's been healthy active. eating well. I recently spotted him basking and gaping, after a good hunt. Is this normal behavior for a pc. I know it is with other lizards. I wanted to make sure it's a warning. the mist king goes off 3 times a day 6 minutes each time. The plant usually dries for about 30-45 minutes in between mists. If gaping is not normal behavior, I was thinking he could be dehydrated?

J

Once when I had a cham with a resp tract infection she was gapping but also occasionally I could hear a little popping, crackling sound emanating from her (which is common if there is a resp infection). The vet said the sound was due to her breathing & was caused by small bubbles forming/popping in the infected/thick/overly-abundant mucus which had formed in her respiratory tract. And, yes she wasn't eating/acting right as well. Hope that's helpful. Mine normally only gaps when hot.:)

thanks

thank you all. I'll bring down the basking area a bit and watch over him. He's eating like a pig. I think he either got a bit grumpy or too hot. thanks for your help!
J

J

Most likely your basking spot is too hot?

doh guess others said that already :)

im pretty sure it helps them vent the heat out, but they shouldnt be kept at temps that will cause them to gape...im not sure about beardies, but you dont want your cham overheating

Ok thanks, everyone has always told me that when you see them gaping (beardies that is) that it means they're at the right temperature and if they were too hot they would move?

It scared me when I seen my Jackson do it, so I turned his bulb down, but then he started climbing the screen and hanging underneath the light so I turned it back up to where I had it.

I'm thinking he was playing games with me :p

Back
Top Bottom