Is coco husk good??

My panther is 3 months old and we just got him last week he was eating well in his baby bin but now he stepped down in eating because in the new glass enclosure with coco husk. by the way we feed crickets :)

Is coco husk good??
IDK—I've never tasted it. :p

My panther is 3 months old and we just got him last week he was eating well in his baby bin but now he stepped down in eating because in the new glass enclosure with coco husk. by the way we feed crickets :)
:confused: Are you saying he's eating less because there is now coco husk in his enclosure? o_O
If so, then I would definitely get rid of the coco husk.

Chameleons are primarily arboreal—they spend most of their time in the trees (plants) in their enclosures, so unless the enclosure is bioactive, they really don't need (much of) a substrate at all. An exception to this is that females will require an appropriate egg-laying bin, but that doesn't apply in this case.

From the Panther Chameleon Care Sheet in the Resources section of this site:
Substrate (mulch, soil, etc.) should not be used in chameleon cages. See Chameleon Enclosures for more information.

The Enclosures section elucidates:
No substrate - Substrate (mulch, dirt, sand, etc.) should not be used in standard chameleon cages. Substrate can actually be harmful by allowing bacteria and mold to grow; it can also cause impaction when accidentally ingested. Only females need a laying bin containing substrate.

That said, if your intent is to go bioactive with your enclosure, the appropriate substrate is required.
This needs to be properly researched and planned out. You can find more information on this in the archives, google, and Youtube.

bioactive panther chameleon enclosure

:confused: Are you saying he's eating less because there is now coco husk in his enclosure? o_O

Chameleons are primarily arboreal—they spend most of their time in the trees (plants) in their enclosures, so unless the enclosure is bioactive, they really don't need (much of) a substrate at all. An exception to this is that females will require an appropriate egg-laying bin, but that doesn't apply in this case.

That said, if your intent is to go bioactive with your enclosure, the appropriate substrate is required.
This needs to be properly researched and planned out. You can find more information on this in the archives, google, and Youtube.

He is a male

unless i need to i don't think so

I think people make the mistake of thinking chameleons are always in trees. Panther, veileds, and even Parsons(though less frequently)... I imagine others too... will pretty regularly go to the ground and hunt insects, especially outside. IMO bioactive isn't an option, but an improvement, though no judgement on people that choose not to. There's good reasons not to depending on your situations.

So eating coco husk, for a healthy animal, I don't imagine it'll cause problems. I'd still discourage them from eating large quantities of it.

Last edited:
I think people make the mistake of thinking chameleons are always in trees. Panther, veileds, and even Parsons(though less frequently) will pretty regularly go to the ground and hunt insects, especially outside. IMO bioactive isn't an option, but an improvement, though no judgement on people that choose not to. There's good reasons not to depending on your situations.

So eating coco husk, for a healthy animal, I don't imagine it'll cause problems. I'd still discourage them from eating large quantities of it.
he has been eating some but not a lot im just worried about his health i want to be the best owner i can be but he hasnt been on the ground yet so IDK

Do you mind posting a picture of the enclosure and possibly filling out the help form just so we know everything is spot on(y)?

Babies are known to chew on and eat random things more often too.

2961BEE6-21E0-4403-AD10-E7632BFB2063.jpeg
6B635C37-37D4-49FA-B313-8CF0D201E79D.jpeg
FFAB3297-8674-4A04-881C-BA23C7C6583E.jpeg

Hey I'm heading out for work, but I wouldn't use that coconut husk, it could present a choking hazard. I was thinking you meant the coco substrate. You're better off using straight organic soil with good drainage. Check out @cyberlocc blog on bioactivity. Friend of mine and he did an awesome job on it.

Back
Top Bottom