Is chleo impacted or possibly have eggs?

She seems to be doing well I gave her a nice long shower and she has been eating crickets and drinking water. I am amazed by her strength cannot believe she had such a huge clutch and not to mention how skinny she is! I feel very lucky to have witnessed this, it is truly a beautiful process Veiled chameleons go through to lay their eggs. She covered them up so perfectly like nothing happened, amazing

She looks pretty exhausted which is to be expected. How soon after her covering up the eggs did you take those pictures? Do you see how limp her tail looks in all the pictures? That suggests to me she is not doing very well.

What she needs right now is for you to leave her alone and not handle her. She needs a lot of water, food and calcium. Your cage is very bare so she will not be getting access to much water from the leaves. My cages are full of live plants and after a female has laid I run misters a lot so the leaves are always soaked and dripping. A shower and a dripper are not good enough.

How are you supplementing calcium for her? She can only absorb so much calcium from her gut at any one time so you should be giving her calcium twice a day.

She also has what looks like gular edema, something veileds are not noted to be all that susceptible to. Has she always had it? If it is related to her being gravid, I would expect it to go away very quickly.

I'm sorry I can't share your enthusiasm for the beautiful process of egg laying that kills probably every female veiled that hatches and makes it to maturity. Have a good look at her--does she look like she is happy and doing well? She looks like she is miserable. Egg laying is REALLY hard on captive chameleons. Anything that is so hard on them is not something I like my animals to go through. She produced a clutch that is twice the size of a clutch she would produce in the wild, which is sort of typical of captive veileds. It takes its toll on them. She loaded up those eggs with Vitamin A and calcium to last the babies that don't exist for months. She was probably nutritionally deficient to begin with and didn't have that extra nutrition to put into the eggs. Do you see where I'm going with this? I am coming to the conclusion that perhaps all female veileds and panthers should be culled at hatch to prevent the inevitable horrible end they will likely all come to. I've read too many threads about female veileds full of eggs with broken legs from MBD and the owner not doing the right thing and ending their misery or even noticing they have broken legs.

She is not out of the woods yet. She needs extra care. Once she has recovered she needs to be kept much cooler and very lean to try to not put her in breeding condition. With ample food, veileds produce huge clutches which shortens their lives. By the way, she doesn't look skinny to me, so once she is back to her normal self, don't hesitate to cut her food right down. Most chameleons pictured on the forum here are obese, even some of mine.

The picture where she is sort of crouching, she had just caught a cricket and I think this is why her stance looks so weird. These were taken quite a while after she laid her eggs but before I had done anything like cleaning her off giving her a shower etc. I can tell it is hard on them I was only saying the process is beautiful and it is incredible to me to see how she got ready to lay their eggs and barley had the strength but she still was able to make it through. She is acting so much better than she has the past two days so I have a good feeling that she will be fine. Once she got her shower She turned back to her beautiful green color with some light blue spots. She will have alot of extra special care to make sure she gets back to full health. I dusted her crickets with calcium and multivitamin and I also put some into her water so she will get it in her system that way as well. I meant she is so skinny compared to what she was before laying all of these eggs, she does seem larger than alot of other Veileds I have seen posted on here, I absolutely need to change up her eating!

The picture where she is sort of crouching, she had just caught a cricket and I think this is why her stance looks so weird. These were taken quite a while after she laid her eggs but before I had done anything like cleaning her off giving her a shower etc. I can tell it is hard on them I was only saying the process is beautiful and it is incredible to me to see how she got ready to lay their eggs and barley had the strength but she still was able to make it through. She is acting so much better than she has the past two days so I have a good feeling that she will be fine. Once she got her shower She turned back to her beautiful green color with some light blue spots. She will have alot of extra special care to make sure she gets back to full health. I dusted her crickets with calcium and multivitamin and I also put some into her water so she will get it in her system that way as well. I meant she is so skinny compared to what she was before laying all of these eggs, she does seem larger than alot of other Veileds I have seen posted on here, I absolutely need to change up her eating!

Pictures can be so deceiving. Some chameleons pull their eyes in when they are stressed so any picture of them makes them look dehydrated when they aren't.

A normal laying is when a female is bright and alert and active and one day drops down into her laying bin, digs a hole, lays eggs and is up in her branches in a few hours as if nothing had happened.

That you say she barely had the strength to make it through laying eggs is a really bad sign. The stresses of egg laying are cumulative and she might have more problems with the next clutch, which is why she needs a lot of care and nutrition, especially calcium, now. Does she have good UVB lighting? Can you get her out in real sun now it is summer? How she recovers will have a big impact on the next clutch. It is not uncommon for chameleons to successfully lay but die a few days later. Take extra special care of her.

She seems to be doing well I gave her a nice long shower and she has been eating crickets and drinking water. I am amazed by her strength cannot believe she had such a huge clutch and not to mention how skinny she is! I feel very lucky to have witnessed this, it is truly a beautiful process Veiled chameleons go through to lay their eggs. She covered them up so perfectly like nothing happened, amazing
Thats nothing look at this wild graceful she started digging on march 4th

Well that is my opinion, you saw the pictures of her before she dug her hole and it wasn't looking good for a few hours. She has good uvb lighting in her cage but I also brought her outside for a while this morning to let her soak up some real sun she seemed to really enjoy that. To be completely honest about the waterings I have never watched her drink water from her leaves in her cage, not sure why or how to help make her do this..but she will drink it right from the water bottle.

I have still to this day have never seen Doughnut drink either but her poop looks good so I know she is well hydrated a lot of veileds are secretive about drinking

I have still to this day have never seen Doughnut drink either but her poop looks good so I know she is well hydrated a lot of veileds are secretive about drinking
Glad to know! I was very disappointed when I got the dripper for her because I hoped she would use it. Maybe she does just not when I'm around.

Here are some pictures where she looks quite a bit better than yesterday. Her color has been back to normal and she is back in her usual basking spot right now.
She also has what looks like gular edema, something veileds are not noted to be all that susceptible to. Has she always had it? If it is related to her being gravid, I would expect it to go away very quickly.
. How is one to get rid of this we have noticed her neck is still a little puffy. If it is normal to have this after pregnancy will it maybe just go away on its own?

Attachments

• Snapchat-7630694493083514069.jpg
    Snapchat-7630694493083514069.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Snapchat-7038566140659611482.jpg
    Snapchat-7038566140659611482.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Snapchat-6372740470743180774.jpg
    Snapchat-6372740470743180774.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 73
Here are some pictures where she looks quite a bit better than yesterday. Her color has been back to normal and she is back in her usual basking spot right now.
. How is one to get rid of this we have noticed her neck is still a little puffy. If it is normal to have this after pregnancy will it maybe just go away on its own?

Is the last picture after she laid eggs? She has a bulge that looks like an egg. Sometimes after they lay eggs they have those bulges but it isn't eggs. Have you gently palpated for eggs?

It depends on why she has edema. There are a million reasons a chameleon might have edema. Being gravid is one. Mine can develop edema from certain shipments of crickets and supplements will start an episode. Major organ failure will also cause edema. Edema can be a symptom of life-threatening illness like heart/liver/kidney failure or something that likely has no health impact.

If I have an epidose of edema that animal doesn't get any commercial crickets. I suggest you continue with plain calcium but stop vitamin supplements.

Is the last picture after she laid eggs? She has a bulge that looks like an egg. Sometimes after they lay eggs they have those bulges but it isn't eggs. Have you gently palpated for eggs?

If I have an epidose of edema that animal doesn't get any commercial crickets. I suggest you continue with plain calcium but stop vitamin supplements.

We noticed that too, but when I felt I cannot feel that there are any eggs left, I will try again but it almost seemed like it's extra chunk she is carrying by the feel of it. And thanks so much for the suggestion about the edema!! I have learned so much because of you during this and I thank you for it all!!!

We noticed that too, but when I felt I cannot feel that there are any eggs left, I will try again but it almost seemed like it's extra chunk she is carrying by the feel of it. And thanks so much for the suggestion about the edema!! I have learned so much because of you during this and I thank you for it all!!!

I suspect it is just fluid. You don't need to do much to tell. Just gently touch that bulging spot. An egg will be hard and you'll fell it. If it is just fluid, it will go away under your finger with no resistance. You can also put gentle pressure on the opposite side to push that area out and then run your fingers over the spot. An egg up high is hard to feel but one down close to the pelvis is easy to find.

You feed exclusively an all meal worm diet? That is really no good as meal worms are kinda hard to digest with too much protein and may be part of her chunk problem, may also be impaction also but I'm no vet. https://www.chameleonforums.com/members/jannb.2911/ is good to talk to in regards to that stuff. Here is some info on feeders right from the Resources link under Food & Nutrition- Common Feeders - Offer your chameleon a variety of food items. Doing so will not only help provide a balanced and nutritious diet, but also help prevent your chameleon from becoming bored with one particular insect. Some of the best feeders commonly used with captive chameleons include crickets, locusts, roaches, silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, and superworms. Feeders such as mealworms and waxworms are high in fat and harder to digest so they should only be used occasionally.

You feed exclusively an all meal worm diet? That is really no good as meal worms are kinda hard to digest with too much protein and may be part of her chunk problem, may also be impaction also but I'm no vet. https://www.chameleonforums.com/members/jannb.2911/ is good to talk to in regards to that stuff. Here is some info on feeders right from the Resources link under Food & Nutrition- Common Feeders - Offer your chameleon a variety of food items. Doing so will not only help provide a balanced and nutritious diet, but also help prevent your chameleon from becoming bored with one particular insect. Some of the best feeders commonly used with captive chameleons include crickets, locusts, roaches, silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, and superworms. Feeders such as mealworms and waxworms are high in fat and harder to digest so they should only be used occasionally.

She was eating mostly mealworms and the beetles that they produce. Occasionally I would pick up a few dozen crickets for her but they never lasted very long, she and my turtle both love them! She also would eat fruits sometimes I very rarelytried but if I was giving my turtle fruit and veg I would try them to see if she liked it. I got her some crickets now and I went ahead and ordered some hornworms and butter worms from mulberry farms so I am anxious to see how she likes those.

She was eating mostly mealworms and the beetles that they produce. Occasionally I would pick up a few dozen crickets for her but they never lasted very long, she and my turtle both love them! She also would eat fruits sometimes I very rarelytried but if I was giving my turtle fruit and veg I would try them to see if she liked it. I got her some crickets now and I went ahead and ordered some hornworms and butter worms from mulberry farms so I am anxious to see how she likes those.

You are giving her a really bad diet. There are care sheets for veileds on this website under the Resources tab--you really need to read them and also read the general care sheets for chameleons.

I don't know what to say to you because there are just so many things wrong with her diet. Mealworms are not a good staple and "crickets" from a pet shop are a pretty lousy food as well since they are fed junk or not fed at all. A chameleon takes a bit more effort than you are giving her. They really do.

Back
Top Bottom