Is an hour long trip okay?

WacklieCacklie

I need to take George to the vet and a really good vet, Stahl Exotic Animal Vet, is about an hour away. Would it be okay for him to travel that far? Or should I find one closer to me?
He isn't too sick but I think he's showing early signs of a uri and he hasn't eaten for almost a week.

Okay thank you. I just didn't want to stress the little guy out too bad :)

Put him in a little box and keep him in the dark. Give him something to grab onto. I never take out my chameleons until the vet is right there to do the examination. Vet techs will always want to have a look and get a weight before the vet comes in, but I won't allow it. They can wait. I will discuss the problem with the vet tech and the vet in detail BEFORE I get the animal out of the box. As soon as the exam is over, they go right back in the box in the dark.

An hour is nothing for him in a box in the dark. Imports take almost a week to arrive, hanging from poles in a cloth bag. They don't even get a nice little box or deli cup

Put him in a little box and keep him in the dark. Give him something to grab onto. I never take out my chameleons until the vet is right there to do the examination. Vet techs will always want to have a look and get a weight before the vet comes in, but I won't allow it. They can wait. I will discuss the problem with the vet tech and the vet in detail BEFORE I get the animal out of the box. As soon as the exam is over, they go right back in the box in the dark.

An hour is nothing for him in a box in the dark. Imports take almost a week to arrive, hanging from poles in a cloth bag. They don't even get a nice little box or deli cup
Thanks for the advice. I prepping the box right now actually. I've got the perfect sized stick but I'm having trouble keeping it steady. May have to tape it or something.

Thanks for the advice. I prepping the box right now actually. I've got the perfect sized stick but I'm having trouble keeping it steady. May have to tape it or something.

Drill a hold through the box and tape the inch or so that sticks out either side to the box. Make sure you use a natural branch with bark so they have some grip. Be careful of the height of the branch--you don't want his back to rub on the top. I use little plastic totes. Sometimes I put a branch in sometimes just a twisted "rope" of paper towel. I spray the inside with water so the humidity is really high.

My vet is 4 hours away, each way, making for a long day. I have a little pop-up laundry bag for each, which has sticks to keep it propped open. I zip-tie fake vines inside of it to give them something to grip, and line the bottom with towels - Cecil will poop no matter how long the car ride! When I get to the vet I transfer them into their own shoe box which is lined with paper towels and has a piece of fake vine in it, so they are shut in there while I'm in the waiting room, filling out paperwork, etc. My guys are fairly social once out of their cages, so they actually seem to enjoy the journey. They usually fall asleep in the cage on the way back because its dark by the time I get home. Having a trust-worthy vet is worth the drive, believe me!

Back
Top Bottom