Is a T5 5.0 equivalent to a T8 10.0?

No... They are not. A T8 10.0 in a single fixture you have to put basking level 5 inches below the fixture sitting on the screen to get a 3.0 UVI. A T5HO 5.0 bulb in a single bulb fixture you need 9 inches between fixture and the highest branch to get a UVI 3.

The catch is with the t8... You have to be very very careful with your basking bulb placement. It has to be raised up. Because if you have it sitting on the screen at 5 inches away you are going to have thermal burns to the cham.

This link will go into full detail about UVB> https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

They're different technologies. Compare the outputs & distances. I know they look close on that table, but there are other differences (e.g. life of bulb) to consider.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a T8 anymore. T5 gives you more flexibility, IMO.

They're different technologies. Compare the outputs & distances. I know they look close on that table, but there are other differences (e.g. life of bulb) to consider.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a T8 anymore. T5 gives you more flexibility, IMO.
Yeah I was talking to someone on reddit about how the T5HOs are better and they were asking me to cite it, but the uvb range for the T5 5.0 and the T8 10.0 seems about the same, according to what I’ve read

Assume a T8 10.0 = 100%

A 5.0 is "half"

A T5 Non Ho is 33% more efficient.
A T5 HO is double the power.

So a T5HO is 266% more output than a T8.

A T5 HO 5.0 is 33% more UVB than a T8 10.0.

And that is min. If you compare a T8 without a reflector (or just a white one), than that number can double again.

Assume a T8 10.0 = 100%

A 5.0 is "half"

And that is min. If you compare a T8 without a reflector (or just a white one), than that number can double again.
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense

No... They are not. A T8 10.0 in a single fixture you have to put basking level 5 inches below the fixture sitting on the screen to get a 3.0 UVI. A T5HO 5.0 bulb in a single bulb fixture you need 9 inches between fixture and the highest branch to get a UVI 3.

The catch is with the t8... You have to be very very careful with your basking bulb placement. It has to be raised up. Because if you have it sitting on the screen at 5 inches away you are going to have thermal burns to the cham.

This link will go into full detail about UVB> https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

That is certainly an interesting chart. Some how going from a single reflector 6% to a 12% results in a drastic change. You would think the output would just double. But if if im reading this right, the 12% needs to be 7" above the screen, with the cham hang out zone starting 5" below the screen, and then the "zone" is 2ft deep. By comparison the "zone" of a 6% is only 7" deep.

Last edited:
That is certainly an interesting chart. Some how going from a single reflector 6% to a 12% results in a drastic change. You would think the output would just double. But if if im reading this right, the 12" needs to be 7" above the screen, with the cham hang out zone starting 5" below the screen, and then the "zone" is 2ft deep. By comparison the "zone" off a 6% is only 7" deep.
Yeah I don't know about the depth lol. I have not tested that. But it is accurate for distance to basking to hit the 3 uvi down to a 1 UVI. I have tested that in a 6% and a 12% in my single fixture T5HO. He raises fixtures to ensure there is not an over exposure risk specifically for babies that like to screen climb.

Assume a T8 10.0 = 100%

A 5.0 is "half"

So I have a carpet chameleon, 18x18x24” exo Terra glass (recommended by the breeder frank Payne) is the dual top canopy by exo Terra with two t8 10.0 bulbs and a heat basking bulb enough UVB for the tank? There’s also a 4-5” substrate layer (bio dude Terra firma) in a fully bioactive setup so tank is really 18x18x20 air space

So I have a carpet chameleon, 18x18x24” exo Terra glass (recommended by the breeder frank Payne) is the dual top canopy by exo Terra with two t8 10.0 bulbs and a heat basking bulb enough UVB for the tank? There’s also a 4-5” substrate layer (bio dude Terra firma) in a fully bioactive setup so tank is really 18x18x20 air space

Attachments

• 11E79B0F-FBDA-4A5A-BB1A-DA792CF9E5C7.jpeg
    11E79B0F-FBDA-4A5A-BB1A-DA792CF9E5C7.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 125
Carpet Chameleons have their own specific requirements. Frank is extremely knowledgeable and I am sure would be happy to give you feedback if you email him with specifics on your enclosure.

T8 is being phased out, soon to be unavailable. I heard this about 5 years ago, and the supply has decresed, and I think you would be buying old products that just haven't sold yet.

How old are they. Generally around 9-12 months they should be replaced. If you do not know the age of the bulbs, and its a growing cham, i would not risk it without a meter. it would be better to bight the bullet and spend the $50-60 for the new hood with the T5HO 6%/5.0. And raise it above the cage about 6" since its such as short cage.

This is all assuming carpets are in the same uvb range as panthers/veiled/parsons/ousts.

Back
Top Bottom