Is a money tree safe?

bhribik21

Hi everybody. I was just wondering if anybody had any knowledge about a plant called a money tree. I actually found it on a safe plant list for panther chams but it didn't have the scientific name with it. Now I have found one at my local Lowes and bought it in hopes to use it when my baby cham goes to his bigger cage (they are said to reach heights of almost 7 feet). But if they are toxic I'll just use it as a house plant. So if anybody know please give me a shout. Thank you.

They are safe, but supposedly they do not have strong enough branches to support a chameleon. I have one and my Male Jackson's loves it! I do have to keep it trimmed to fit my cage.

My senegal loves the money tree, too! It grew quick, and I should maybe figure out a way to keep it trimmed and fuller, instead of growing strait up to the light and then burning up.

Thank you

Thanks everybody for your replies. I was thinking about saving it for his adult cage but now I'm not totally sure. I have an umbrella tree and a dracenea in there now along with some bendable vines and a few other branches. Since you say it may not have strong enough branches for them to crawl on I might just switch it out with the dracenea now for a change of scenery since he is still a tiny baby maybe 2 1/2-3 inches in length so I doubt he weighs much!!!! And yes a 7 foot tree full of c notes would look awesome in my living room haha.

Thanks everybody for your replies. I was thinking about saving it for his adult cage but now I'm not totally sure. I have an umbrella tree and a dracenea in there now along with some bendable vines and a few other branches. Since you say it may not have strong enough branches for them to crawl on I might just switch it out with the dracenea now for a change of scenery since he is still a tiny baby maybe 2 1/2-3 inches in length so I doubt he weighs much!!!! And yes a 7 foot tree full of c notes would look awesome in my living room haha.

Money tree is a type of umbrella plant, right? Whatever the plant, just make sure to clean it before it goes into your cage!

Money

I don't know if a money tree is a type of umbrella or not. I do know there are a few types and one of them is toxic. If my memory serves me right the one that is toxic is schefflera actinophylla. I clean all my pants with a combo of dial antibacterial soap and gain dish detergent. Seems to do the job good for me.

i found a money tree when i went into town seems if it were to has enough room to grow it would be the perfect plant now i need a bigger cage

My Cham eats her money tree and it used to freak me out. I thought the was angry but hey, it’s her home. Her tree, do what you want

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 407
Has anyone had one of these in a pot for any time?
I bought one to feed the leaves to my tortoises....The tortoises didn't care for them. So I planted the Money tree in the yard and forgot about it.
It grew pretty large.
Eventually I dug it up to move it to a better spot and found a tuber/root like a huge potato the size of a watermelon.

Back
Top Bottom