Is a bonsai suitable for a panther?

Matt72

I am soon getting a male panther chameleon, I will probably be getting a ficus tree, some wooden logs and some vines for climbing but I also have a small bonsai tree, it needs the same conditions as a chameleon. I might consider putting it inside the enclosure with my chameleon. Is it safe for my chameleon?

I'm no bonsai expert but I think a lot of the bonsai at your average plantstore are ficus ...
So I guess you can put that with your chameleon.

Correct me if I'm wrong

It really all matters what species your bonsai tree is, some are rather harsh to the touch. A bonsai is not a type of tree, its just the method of growing one in a container. some of them are hard to identify because they are simply sold as "bonsai trees".

My husband has been doing bonsai for years - and what @PJK said is spot on. It all depends on what type of tree the bonsai is. Ficus is used often. As are tons of variations of spruce. I have also seen rhododendron used often for bonsai, and I once read (and correct me if I am wrong) that they are poisonous to chameleons . So, pretty much, it all depends on what type of sapling was used to create the bonsai.

I'm no bonsai expert but I think a lot of the bonsai at your average plantstore are ficus ...
So I guess you can put that with your chameleon.

Correct me if I'm wrong

It really all matters what species your bonsai tree is, some are rather harsh to the touch. A bonsai is not a type of tree, its just the method of growing one in a container. some of them are hard to identify because they are simply sold as "bonsai trees".

My husband has been doing bonsai for years - and what @PJK said is spot on. It all depends on what type of tree the bonsai is. Ficus is used often. As are tons of variations of spruce. I have also seen rhododendron used often for bonsai, and I once read (and correct me if I am wrong) that they are poisonous to chameleons . So, pretty much, it all depends on what type of sapling was used to create the bonsai.

I'm not sure what type of bonsai it is, I have a picture though

My ficus didnt do well under just a normal heat bulb and uvb bulb but if you have a plant bulb Im sure it would be fine. Most I have seen sold are Ficus

1472665279170-1051210925.jpg

That's pretty impressive - great job! It looks like a ficus to me, and while it would be safe for your panther, is it big enough? I realize it wouldn't be his primary climbing tree, however if he happened to wander over and broke some of those smaller branches would you be upset? To me I wouldn't want to risk all of my hard work, but that's just my two cents.

I've seen a lot of bonsai ficus trees at Lowes lately, they look just like yours. I use two ficus' for my Panther, they grow like weeds in his habitat. I prune at least once a week, but when I do, he's outside for the day. That sticky white sap that bleeds from the cuttings can't be very good for chameleons I'm guessing. Other than that, I'd use your bonsai.

I am soon getting a male panther chameleon, I will probably be getting a ficus tree, some wooden logs and some vines for climbing but I also have a small bonsai tree, it needs the same conditions as a chameleon. I might consider putting it inside the enclosure with my chameleon. Is it safe for my chameleon?
Any type of woody plant can be used as a bonsai. If the plant is not poisonous it should not be a problem. Bonsai is an art form, not a type, or species of tree.

Back
Top Bottom