Is 36x18x18 Do-able for an adult panther?

MantisFTW

Title pretty much says all. :)

I've had a 36x18x18 DIY cage for my adult panther for a while now... not sure if its 100% absolutely necessary to switch to the last size, since large cages + shipping can be pretty pricey..

It's possible, but ideally bigger is better. My male panther is in that size and I think it's a bit too small for him if that was his only cage. He gets lots of out of cage time though and has a bigger outdoor cage that he visits frequently. So it works for him.

Mine never really gets transferred. Sometimes I'll bring his cage outside during the summer for some sun, but thats about it. Most of the time hes in the same cage.

He doesnt seem really generally unhappy or anything, though... he doesnt roam around too much and show any signs of stress. Unless of course he catches the eye of my other younger male panther while hes out. :p

Mine never really gets transferred. Sometimes I'll bring his cage outside during the summer for some sun, but thats about it. Most of the time hes in the same cage.

He doesnt seem really generally unhappy or anything, though... he doesnt roam around too much and show any signs of stress. Unless of course he catches the eye of my other younger male panther while hes out. :p

But, I would suggest that if he had more living space he would be more active and you would see more of his natural behaviors including "good" stress. IMHO, he needs and deserves as much space as you can give him.

Its fine if it isnt a large male. Just take him out a lot more to keep him happy. I open the cages and all my chams come out for a couple hours at least 3 times a week.

18x18x36 is too small in my opinion for an adult male panther. They get over 20" in length, so the width and depth is shorter than his length. That's an awfully cramped place to spend your whole life.

Back
Top Bottom