Is 20 eggs a small clutch?

humina

This is Poot's first time laying, they are infertile eggs. I finally checking her tank this weekend and found in total 20 eggs. Is that a small amount? I've heard of them being able to lay up to 100. She has been eating, and drinking..back to her same self. :D

If she's a veiled, thats a great amount. You dont want her producing those huge clutches like that. Imo 20-25 is perfect between 25-30 is ok. Over 30 and your pushing her to be producing multiple clutches that big. If your not going to breed her you may be able to keep her clutch sizes even smaller by reducing her number of feeders and only feeding every other day. There are alot of threads about reducing clutch sizes and even keeping the veileds from producing clutches at all.

i dont own any chams at the moment but i was just curious about what do the female's do when they lay any clutch of eggs, whether fertile or infertile. Do they protect or watch over them if you try to stick your hands in the cage to remove them to an incubator or the trash if they are infertile? Do they hiss and bite or just lay them and leave them to thier own demise?

If you have a pygmy chameleon then my god... That is the largest clutch EVER!

I would assume Veiled, in which case that is a fine egg number.

i dont own any chams at the moment but i was just curious about what do the female's do when they lay any clutch of eggs, whether fertile or infertile. Do they protect or watch over them if you try to stick your hands in the cage to remove them to an incubator or the trash if they are infertile? Do they hiss and bite or just lay them and leave them to thier own demise?

They just leave the to their own demise! They dig a tunnel, lay the eggs, cover them over, and then leave them.

This is my first time with a chameleon laying eggs. I wasn't informed when i purchased her that even if they've never been bred they can lay eggs. Most chams prefer to dig in a sand mixture, and can dig very very deep holes. Poot dug in total 4 holes, and finally picked one that fit her needs. They will turn around and lay the eggs, then cover the hole and leave it. I'm not sure on incubation process because I've never done it, nor do i want to put that much stress on my little girl. I know that some have to be incubated for a really long time. I wouldn't have the patience for that haha. Also, when the female begins to dig, it is a good idea to cover her tank, so she has privacy. If she sees you looking at her she may abandon her digging and become eggbound if she gives up completely.

Has she gone right back to her normal self...eating, drinking etc. since she laid the eggs?

20 eggs is a good sized clutch....and hopefully she laid them all.

Watch her for any negative changes (sitting low in the cage, not eating or drinking, lethargic, etc.) and if she shows any of these signs then she might not have laid them all.

Has she gone right back to her normal self...eating, drinking etc. since she laid the eggs?

20 eggs is a good sized clutch....and hopefully she laid them all.

Watch her for any negative changes (sitting low in the cage, not eating or drinking, lethargic, etc.) and if she shows any of these signs then she might not have laid them all.

I have been keeping a close eye on her all this weekend. I took the sheet we had covering her down last night as she hasn't been at the bottom of the tank at all. I've watched her drink water off the plants, and she's been scarfing down on calcium dusted mealworms and kale. She has also pooped, and it was normal in consistency and color. I was really worried about her when i first noticed her digging as i had NO idea that they could lay eggs with out being bred. As soon as i read the requirements for a laying bin i got everything she needed. I'm going to leave the bin in her tank from now on, changing out the sand/soil mixture periodically like her bedding. I have an account with my vet for emergencies so cost isn't an issue. I'll definitely take her in if i see any changes. The boyfriend thinks I'm weird because i basically examine our reptiles and other pets to see if there are any abnormalities haha. :D

Good to hear that she is eating and acting normally. Sounds like she laid them all. Just continue to make your boyfriend crazy by keeping an eye on her! :)

Back
Top Bottom