Introduction

yoteango

Established Member
Hi Everybody
A long time ago, I had a dream, and with that I built a big cage out of my dad's garage scraps, got cheap lights, even had a secret cricket farm going, and ended up getting a tortoise instead of a chameleon to appease my mom after that cricket farm was discovered, and the cage was repurposed into a chicken cage.
Recently my childhood dream was rekindled and so naturally I did what any guy starting a new hobby does - bought several hundred dollars worth of basic supplies (lights, cage, mister) at 3AM after doing a weekend of research. Will probably look for some plants tomorrow. Currently waiting for all that to get here so I can make it pretty and set it up right. Right now the goal is a Panther Chameleon.

Anyways, I'm not as much of a veteran as my account age might make me out to be, so I'll have some questions in the coming weeks.

Hi Everybody
A long time ago, I had a dream, and with that I built a big cage out of my dad's garage scraps, got cheap lights, even had a secret cricket farm going, and ended up getting a tortoise instead of a chameleon to appease my mom after that cricket farm was discovered, and the cage was repurposed into a chicken cage.
Recently my childhood dream was rekindled and so naturally I did what any guy starting a new hobby does - bought several hundred dollars worth of basic supplies (lights, cage, mister) at 3AM after doing a weekend of research. Will probably look for some plants tomorrow. Currently waiting for all that to get here so I can make it pretty and set it up right. Right now the goal is a Panther Chameleon.

Anyways, I'm not as much of a veteran as my account age might make me out to be, so I'll have some questions in the coming weeks.
Welcome. For current husbandry read through this https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Most of what you google on sites will be outdated info. The above link will give you all current info which is what we utilize within the forum.

Thanks. I noticed that some stuff is a little different now vs then, like screen enclosures aren't recommended 101% of the time.
Yeah the hobby has moved to more of a hybrid style cage. You want the air flow that the chimney effect creates in hybrid enclosures. Screen cages can be modified to work though. Typically the two sides and back are blocked with either window film or solid panels to provide better temp and humidity gradients within the cage.

Back
Top Bottom