Introduction&Question

Albula

Hello,

I'm new here. Just got a new 3 month old baby BB panther chameleon last night. Fed him this morning about 25 fruit flies. He ate like a champ. Was just wondering at what age should I move him over to crickets? How often and what amount should I feed him when I move him to crickets? Right now, I'm following the current owners recommendation and feeding him every other morning about 30 minutes after the lights come on about 25 fruit flies. Thanks in advance,

A 3 month old should be fed everyday and should be eating crickets right now. Small silkworms are also a good feeder. About 20 to 25 feeders a day is appropriate. Also, welcome to the forums!

Thanks for your advice. I took it. Fed him today(next day) as well, and he ate like a champ again. I'm in FL too. Naples, Fl. The problem is I only run to the petshop once a week to buy crickets for my bearded dragon. I buy about 50 Large crickets for him because he is an adult and dump him in his cage and it works for a week with him eating salad everyday as well. Not sure if the petshop I go to sells silkworms. I'll check. What is the difference between a feeder and a pinhead? Thanks

Thanks,

His poop is a little orange in some spots. I read it might be that he is dehydrated. I'm going to mist him more so he drinks more and hopefully that will help. Today I'm going to go to the petstore to see if they have silkworms, and buy crickets. Should I buy pinheads or small size crickets for a 3 month old panther? Thanks

Well, I went to the petstore and they didn't sell silkworms. The woman told me they had pinhead and small crickets. I looked at them and they looked like small and large crickets. I bought some Large for my bearded dragon and some small for Valspar.(my baby panthers name) He is eating the small crickets like a champ. One of the bigger crickets took a chomp out of him and he threw a fit this morning. He screamed and I heard it. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new panther. I just wanted to tell you to make sure to get the crickets out of his cage at night. They can eat on your baby while he sleeps. I'm attaching my blog below for new keepers. Post some photos of him and his enclosure when you get a chance.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

How to post pictures:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-post-photos-video-3609/

More great info: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

This is a picture of his older brother. Actually I'm really not sure what kind of panther he is. The previous owner told me that he was a Blue Bar Ambolie. Is this true from looking at his brother or is anyone able to tell me any more info on the panther I got from looking at a pict. of his older brother? Pict. is in attachements. Thanks

Attachments

• Valspar's Older Brother.jpg
    Valspar's Older Brother.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 93
lHis brother looks like a blue bar to me - but i'm not an expert I thought my boy was a girl until he started shedding -but I was told he's a blue bar-and he's starting to look like the brother. I used small phoenix worms (from phoenix worms) and staple flies from mantisplace.com when my guy was small. The shipping on the pinheads the couple of times I got them was high because they ship fed ex and they didn't get eaten before they died- you can get "calci worms at a pet store but if they've been there a while they grow and the only time I got them they were already turning into ugly flies. It's worth the shipping to get them fresh from the source. With flies they tend to hatch out if it's real hot so in Florida that might be a problem also. I ordered a pod of silkworms but they out grew him before he finished them (he loved them though - now that he's bigger I'm going to get some more)

http://www.cricketfactory.com/

1,000 crickets for $15.00. They will ship Priority Mail and can break up orders so you can say get 500 pinheads and 500 large in one box for the price of 1,000. That works for me because I've also got an adult bearded dragon.

Woke the little guy up this morning to go on the hunt. He just scarfed down a cricket. I love how they shoot out their tongue, it reminds me of fly fishing. He was pale before I woke him up, when I got a photoshot of him, he was flashing the bars. I'm not sure if he is a 100% Blue Bar, but that is ok with me. Heck I'm a heinz 57. Got a great deal on him anyway. If he grows up looking anything like his brother, I'll be happy.

Attachments

• DSC04276.JPG
    DSC04276.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 118
Welcome to the forum! There are lots of great people here with tons of knowledge always willing to participate. Nice looking little guy (or girl, you never know). I would say it's more like 6-8 weeks old but will really start to take off while eating crickets and other feeders. Don't forget to gut load your feeders. We all love pictures here, don't hesitate to share :D
Jason

Just wanted to add check out our sponsor section. You will find a nice selection of feeders and one might be closer to you than the link you provided :)

Back
Top Bottom