Introducing roaches

LizardLover0261

So I can't get my young veiled to eat roaches. He will eat crickets, meal worms and wax worms without issue. It's not too big of an issue if he doesn't eat them, I'm not gonna force feed him. I would just like to be able to feed him roaches as they are more nutritious, keep longer as they are not cannibalistic. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how I could introduce dubia roaches to my little veiled. Or any other highly nutritious feeders that are easy to keep and desired by my veiled.

I hope someone on here will answer your question. In Canada we can't use roaches...so I have no experience with it.

Odds are you will need a feeder cup with a variety of feeders in it and hop for a few misses. Mine would not each roaches till he was almost an adult. It seems to be a trend that young ones will not eat them.

Also Dubia are fairly lethargic, you have more movement with Orange Head, and Red Runners than Dubia. The feeding cup should have a climbing grid. Cup picture and roach care sheets on our webpage, fullthrottlefeeders.com.

CHEERS!

Nick

I am feeding a tiny rescued veiled dubia. She was on crickets when she arrived, but now is converted to dubia and small superworms. I cup feed only! Nothing I cup feed is able to Ever get out! No lose roaches in my home. Put about 3 or 4 small dubia in a cup, add a couple crickets. First remove 1 leg from each cricket, so they stay in the cup, but move around. Within 4 or 5 days you will no longer need to add crickets.
I use orange head roaches for my parsoni, Never would I offer a full sized one to a veiled. I would also not use red runners as they are escape artist. Just my way of doing things. Hope it helps

I am feeding a tiny rescued veiled dubia. She was on crickets when she arrived, but now is converted to dubia and small superworms. I cup feed only! Nothing I cup feed is able to Ever get out! No lose roaches in my home. Put about 3 or 4 small dubia in a cup, add a couple crickets. First remove 1 leg from each cricket, so they stay in the cup, but move around. Within 4 or 5 days you will no longer need to add crickets.
I use orange head roaches for my parsoni, Never would I offer a full sized one to a veiled. I would also not use red runners as they are escape artist. Just my way of doing things. Hope it helps
That is my fear of having any roaches, including red runners, they will escape!

That is my fear of having any roaches, including red runners, they will escape!

My cat gets the escapees! Dubias will not survive in a household environment anyways. Sometimes I find them alive, upside-down, with their little feet going 100 mph.....lol

I find all of my guys only eat dubia when they are poured from a cup right near them. They do not move enough in a cup so they just ignore them, once I pour the roaches near them they eat them fine! I use glass enclosures so I don’t have to worry as much about escapees! If one does I will find it a couple days later all dried up and died. Red runners are much faster and they are better for cup feeding, they do last longer if they escape in your house, I have found one 2 weeks later still running around!

20 years ago, my veileds ate scrambled eggs. I did this by hand feeding crickets to them. Then when I was out of food (i think the order was delayed by snow), I took a cricket leg and a piece of scrambled egg and hand fed them. I kind of wiggled the egg around to make the leg move. They took right to it. Try this with a roach.

I am not endorsing feeding eggs, just that it worked.

20 years ago, my veileds ate scrambled eggs. I did this by hand feeding crickets to them. Then when I was out of food (i think the order was delayed by snow), I took a cricket leg and a piece of scrambled egg and hand fed them. I kind of wiggled the egg around to make the leg move. They took right to it. Try this with a roach.

I am not endorsing feeding eggs, just that it worked.

I like the idea but my little guy wants nothing to do with me unfortunately.

My experience is that crickets are just more popular with lizards in general because they move more. I don't try to force dubia too hard, the species that will take them I feed them too, otherwise I feed more active prey items.

Sorry if this was stated above, I'm in a rush today, but ...
I have found that unlike a lot of other feeders my panther will NOT usually take roaches from a bowl or cup or any container but will immediately snap them up once they crawl out onto a branch. He will take worms of all sorts, snails, and crickets from a cup but never ever a roach.

Sorry if this was stated above, I'm in a rush today, but ...
I have found that unlike a lot of other feeders my panther will NOT usually take roaches from a bowl or cup or any container but will immediately snap them up once they crawl out onto a branch. He will take worms of all sorts, snails, and crickets from a cup but never ever a roach.

I am so thankful none of my brats are like that! They would never get a roach!

Back
Top Bottom