Introducing new feeders to baby

cass737

Hello! I have spent the last few weeks reading a lot on the forum and have learned a lot from all of the different discussions here. I am a vet student from Canada and just got my first chameleon on Wednesday. He is a four and a half month old Ambilobe/Mitsio cross. He is doing very well - active, curious and 'friendly'. He is eating about 12 1/4" crickets per day. I am gutloading them and supplementing as per the info on the forum.
I also have offered him some small meal worms and Phoenix worms, but so far he has not seemed interested in them. I don't think he was offered them yet at the breeders. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas for how I can get him interested in different types of food, as I don't want him just eating crickets!
Thanks in advance for any help!

Cassandra :)

About trying to get your chameleon to eat things other than crickets I have the same problem with my 6 month old veiled and if you get an answer tell me also don't feed your chameleon meal worms because they can him if he does not chew them, wax worms and super worms are a better idea.

Sandy:)

About trying to get your chameleon to eat things other than crickets I have the same problem with my 6 month old veiled and if you get an answer tell me also don't feed your chameleon meal worms because they can bite him if he does not chew them, wax worms and super worms are a better idea.

Sandy:)

I think patience is the first thing you need to exercise. Only having him for such a short time, he's really not even acclimated completely yet to his new home. Give him some time to get used to everything, and continue to keep trying different feeders. You'll find one's that he likes, and some that he may never like. It took my Nosy Be nearly a year before he was container feeding or eating from my fingers. Now he loves eating from my fingers.

Welcome to the Forum!

The key is movement, which is why crickets are taken so quickly.

If you have screen sides on your cage, try hanging the worm on the screen, just below the chameleon, with the head up. The worm typically will climb up, getting the chameleons attention.

You will need to get smaller than adult size for your young cham.

Super worms, horn worms, mealworms and silkworms tend to stay climbing.

If you are in the US, Mulberry Farms is a one-stop-shop for feeders. If in Canada, check with your breeder.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

Thank you so much for your advice! I will definitely keep the patience thing in mind. :)

I also tried hanging a small Phoenix worm from the side of his enclosure today and he gobbled it up! Great tip, I really appreciate it :)

Back
Top Bottom