Introducing a feed cup

bombadillo2

Hi! Miles (owned for 2 weeks, baby baby ~1-2 month old) has been eating mostly cricks and isn’t into any worms yet. I notice most people suggest that I introduce them via a feed cup, but I haven’t been using a feed cup! In Miles’ smaller enclosure, there was a vertical log where I would drop all the cricks and roaches and he would head over there to feed. He was good at waiting til they crossed his path and snatching them up. He’s a good hunter!

So now I’m thinking I need to introduce a feed cup (for worms/diversity) now that he’s in a large enclosure and the bugs have an opportunity to scatter around. What do you recommend? Can I just mount one near his basking spot? Do crickets get out of those cups easily? How do I help him know it’s there and there are bugs in it?

I don’t think the full questionnaire is necessary here but lmk if you need more info. Just looking for some advice on introducing a cup.

Typically they are put in sitting with the top right at the start of a basking branch. Yes, crickets may jump out because since your guys is so young you can not do a deep cup or he will not be able to easily get to them. He will see the bugs moving and instincts to eat will kick in lol.

I have one of the full throttle feeder cups they work like a charm. I place it on the opposite side of the basking spot near a branch. Crickets will jump out I might have 1 out of every 20 jump out of the cup. But after I dust them I’ll let the crickets settle down so they aren’t in flight mode.

I have one of the full throttle feeder cups they work like a charm. I place it on the opposite side of the basking spot near a branch. Crickets will jump out I might have 1 out of every 20 jump out of the cup. But after I dust them I’ll let the crickets settle down so they aren’t in flight mode.
They still arent in flight mode even after you dump them in to the feeder? I feed like the majority of my feeders jump out. I havent tried letting them calm down yet but I figured the act of dumping them into the feeder would get then riled up again

Thanks all for the tips! I ordered a full throttle feeder, meanwhile he can dance for his dinner :LOL: He's used to free-range feeding right now, so I'll leave him to it til the cup arrives.

Back
Top Bottom