Interesting reaction, but what does it mean?

Throwingstones

Avid Member
Seems to be her angry colors. She displayed them first when we moved her to her new enclosure. The last few days it’s been like this, she does go back to normal sometimes. Girl, nobody is bothering you😂

Attachments

• IMG_6929.jpeg
    IMG_6929.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6920.jpeg
    IMG_6920.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 36
Those may be her working on her gravid coloring. Hope she has a lay bin. Her belly is ginormous! Has she laid eggs before with you? I’m mandated to ask if you have any questions or need any help with getting thru the laying thing. ;)

Those may be her working on her gravid coloring. Hope she has a lay bin. Her belly is ginormous! Has she laid eggs before with you? I’m mandated to ask if you have any questions or need any help with getting thru the laying thing. ;)
She was extra puffed up for some reason. This was taken same day and she gets even thinner throughout the day. We have a lay bin set up in the back area of the enclosure. No eggs before. I’m honestly terrified of thought of her being egg bound. It would be nice to get the first one over with already😂 I keep trying to look and see if there’s little round egg like shapes when I see her moving around.

Attachments

• IMG_6910.jpeg
    IMG_6910.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 30
Ok…in the very 1st pic she has a big belly droop right before her vent...looked suspicious. 🤨
As long as your husbandry is as good as it can get, the risks of problems are small. You’ll still be anxious when it’s your lady’s time for eggs and she’ll just be doing her thing.
BTW, she’s very pretty. 🥰

Ok…in the very 1st pic she has a big belly droop right before her vent...looked suspicious. 🤨
As long as your husbandry is as good as it can get, the risks of problems are small. You’ll still be anxious when it’s your lady’s time for eggs and she’ll just be doing her thing.
BTW, she’s very pretty. 🥰
Some days it really looks like she might have something going on. Then she deflates. No signs of disturbance at the lay bin.

If she is Gravid though, how long does it take? I’ve been searching and some people are saying theirs are taking months to lay. She still has an appetite right now, like running across the enclosure right after I drop the bugs in the feeder. Will I know when it gets closer? Will she turn all black like the pictures?

Mine never turned black like some. Grumpy just had her dots slightly darken and Stella’s body and markings get much darker. I can never go by looking lumpy or feeling eggs. Neither ever had a slow down to their appetite and only Stella would get a bit more active in the days before. Basically they left me guessing right up until I found them digging in their bins. Currently Stella has had her gravid darkness for a few months and she missed her usual annual March laying. But at times I’ll see her and she’s barely even showing any markings and is just green. I have no idea what she’s doing and try not to stress over it. Maybe one morning she won’t be in her usual spot & I’ll find her in the bin. As long as your husbandry is as close to perfect as possible, she’s got 24/7 access to a good lay bin and you give her total privacy once you see her in the bin, all should be ok. Easier said than done though. ;)

This is right after I set up the new enclosure. I’ve added more sticks and moved and added plants at the bottom so the bin is more hidden. There’s some sticks going to the bin and she’s explored down there. Bin is half sand half soil. I hope it’s good enough for her. I’m always looking at ways to improve.

Attachments

• IMG_6815.jpeg
    IMG_6815.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 37
Back
Top Bottom