Interesting observation - question for those with multiple species

snitz427

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have 2 veileds and 2 panthers. 3 of the 4 are in the same large room, with visual barriers between them. They do occasionally catch sight of each other when I take one out of the room to go outside or free range (free range area is not in this room). I try my best to use my body to block their line of sight, but the panthers are quick to notice each other, even if its just a quick glance... the Nosy Be fires up and marches around his cage like a little Jersey Shore beefcake, while the Ambanja gives just a quick nasal "pff" in passing. No denying they don't appreciate each other's presence.

I've noticed that whenever I take my male veiled past them... nobody seems to care. They all look a little curious about each other, if not jealous of Charlie's new found freedom... but never seem aggressive or defensive. My Nosy "The Situation" Be seems totally indifferent. Charlie, the veiled, wants to get in their cages, even if they aren't in them... not aggressive or threatened but he goes bananas whenever he sees any tree that is outside of his cage... and that's the behavior he shows around the chameleons - "HOW COME THEY GET THE BIG CAGE!?" He does not show aggressive colors or stance (which he does upon site of the other veiled).

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this lack of aggression / display towards different chameleon species?

Pics for views...

Charlie fired up
E394C344-D9B7-4C20-976F-2F5AE006957C.jpeg

Walter “The Tank” White
D6BB12C0-EA2C-4BAE-987B-D6773B90BDE5.jpeg

And Clarice just hates everybody.
A6AECF8C-BEC3-48CD-BB43-4EE6BBAEE2C0.jpeg

I suspect it is all about shape, color and pattern. Charlie doesn't have what makes them react to each other.

Not exactly the same situation but I once showed a male of my t.j.jacksonii species to a female t.j.xanth and she hated him and was ready to tear him up and not in the nice way. They are more closely related than what you are talking about.

I have 2 veileds and 2 panthers. 3 of the 4 are in the same large room, with visual barriers between them. They do occasionally catch sight of each other when I take one out of the room to go outside or free range (free range area is not in this room). I try my best to use my body to block their line of sight, but the panthers are quick to notice each other, even if its just a quick glance... the Nosy Be fires up and marches around his cage like a little Jersey Shore beefcake, while the Ambanja gives just a quick nasal "pff" in passing. No denying they don't appreciate each other's presence.

I've noticed that whenever I take my male veiled past them... nobody seems to care. They all look a little curious about each other, if not jealous of Charlie's new found freedom... but never seem aggressive or defensive. My Nosy "The Situation" Be seems totally indifferent. Charlie, the veiled, wants to get in their cages, even if they aren't in them... not aggressive or threatened but he goes bananas whenever he sees any tree that is outside of his cage... and that's the behavior he shows around the chameleons - "HOW COME THEY GET THE BIG CAGE!?" He does not show aggressive colors or stance (which he does upon site of the other veiled).

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this lack of aggression / display towards different chameleon species?

We have 3 veiled and 3 panther. Recently lost Our beautiful Frances . Our frances was very loved by both our male veiled and our male nosy be . Now septiseye was IN LOVE . They all live lined up next to each other but can not see each other . Their basking free range is over by our bay window . Frances was a beauty with major rules . We let her lead the show wether coming out or not . Often it was NOT !.

Our pork chop ( Nosy be ) almost alway can be found basking in his Hibiscus . Our (Human) condos is very small . Pretty much anywhere we can see them . Well Sir pork chop any chance eyes off him would go try and visit her with many head boobs of course with his best suit . Ohhhh she thought he was Utterly ridiculous !!. She would turn around and face the Wall . The obvious is we didn’t allow him to continue this !!. She had no appreciation for his effort !!.

Wasabi thought the same ohhhh sheeee pretty . He had a much shorter time to enjoy the View . He encountered her at the vet . He as well gave her the headbob along with his best suit , she gave him a hiss ❤️.

None of our current girls or boys Pay any mind to each other .

Back
Top Bottom