Installation of mist king

Crossingtami

Avid Member
Reading up, watching videos and preparing for my new mist king system. questions....
Where is the best placement of the water supply bucket and where does the actual motor pump thingy go? Should the nozzle be placed in the front and spray toward the back? And lastly, how often should I program it to spray? Sorry everyone for always asking questions. I just want to make sure I do everything right for my little man, karma.

Hi. It doesn’t really matter where you place the reservoir bucket as long as you have the pump beneath it, even by just a few inches. Where you place the nozzle is up to you. When I was using a single nozzle, I put it in a corner in the back so it could spray more across my enclosure. Using a double nozzle, I have mine in the center of the back. I keep mine in the back so I can better hide the tubing. I have mine set to run 3 times for 2 minutes during the day...right before lights on, mid day and then right before lights out. As I don’t currently use a humidifier at night, I have a 15 sec mist set in the middle of the night.

Hi. It doesn’t really matter where you place the reservoir bucket as long as you have the pump beneath it, even by just a few inches. Where you place the nozzle is up to you. When I was using a single nozzle, I put it in a corner in the back so it could spray more across my enclosure. Using a double nozzle, I have mine in the center of the back. I keep mine in the back so I can better hide the tubing. I have mine set to run 3 times for 2 minutes during the day...right before lights on, mid day and then right before lights out. As I don’t currently use a humidifier at night, I have a 15 sec mist set in the middle of the night.
Thank you. Would u suggest maybe under his enclosure or maybe set along side of the enclosure on a table? How long can I run the hose between the pump and the spray? Does it work better with a shorter distance?

Thank you. Would u suggest maybe under his enclosure or maybe set along side of the enclosure on a table? How long can I run the hose between the pump and the spray? Does it work better with a shorter distance?
Mine is under the enclosure and it runs over six feet up to two nozzles, then runs maybe 6-8 feet over to another enclosure. No issues with pushing longer distance

Reading up, watching videos and preparing for my new mist king system. questions....
Where is the best placement of the water supply bucket
IME, the bottom of the tube coming out of the reservoir should be at least 4-6" above the bottom of the tube going into the pump. I tried less, and got occasional intermittent vapor lock. You also want the recommended 12 inch length between reservoir and pump. IDK why this is, but it also made a difference in reliable operation.

where does the actual motor pump thingy go?
This is less sensitive, but someplace you can access it in case of problems. They can be pretty quiet (at least mine is) so you may need to be able to feel it for vibration to determine if it's running or not.

Should the nozzle be placed in the front and spray toward the back?
Optional, but consider where the spray is going. I have my nozzles aimed toward the back so any overspray hits the pvc back & side walls of the enclosure rather than spraying into the room.
MK and Bill Strand both recommended front of the cage toward the back, which also facilitates adjustments & servicing if required.

And lastly, how often should I program it to spray?
That's the $64 question. Every situation is different; some trial & error may be required.

Often enough to reach & maintain adequate average humidity levels—day & night. I use 2 min. cycles because in my enclosure, that's sufficient to give everything a pretty good soaking; anything longer would result in a lot of water just running off & down the drain.

During the day, it's recommended that the enclosure be allowed to dry out completely between mistings. That will depend on your ambient RH, foliage (more is better) and other variables.
Live foliage helps raise & maintain humidity.

At night, you generally want higher average humidity, so more often or if you can't get the RH high enough, you may have to supplement with a fogger.

Can I see the buckets you guys are using? Is it possible to use a gallon milk carton? I'm so overwhelmed with trying to set up where the water is coming from and where it's going to drain ! I would like for items to fit in my cabinet.
9385FA6C-ABC8-47EA-871A-B9C723476CCC.jpeg

Can I see the buckets you guys are using? Is it possible to use a gallon milk carton? I'm so overwhelmed with trying to set up where the water is coming from and where it's going to drain ! I would like for items to fit in my cabinet.
You had a bucket in the bottom in an earlier post; I would use something that size for the drainage bucket. Larger may be difficult to get in & out of that space—especially when full.

For the reservoir, I would use something the same size or smaller. I have a standard 5 gal bucket for drainage, and a 4 gal bin for a reservoir. I got this at a big-box store for $3 or $4. It's sometimes easier to get a tight fit with the bulkhead on a rectangular container (flat wall).

1618328395379.png

I think 1 gal is too small. Distilled & RO water usually comes in gallons (RO sometimes comes in 5 gal but can be unwieldy). Refilling a 1 gal milk carton would be extremely awkward on a regular basis. As it is, I have to refill the above twice a week, and I'm somewhat frugal with misting.

Measure the space you have in the bottom of that cabinet, write it down with a little diagram, and when you go shopping for containers, take the measurements and a tape measure with you.
Remember to leave enough room to get the containers in & out when they're full of water.

Whatever you get for a supply reservoir, get something with a lid. This will keep dust & debris out, and extend the life of the filter. Installing the filter is optional, but it will keep any debris from going through the pump and causing clogs or other problems.

Can I see the buckets you guys are using? Is it possible to use a gallon milk carton? I'm so overwhelmed with trying to set up where the water is coming from and where it's going to drain ! I would like for items to fit in my cabinet. View attachment 298440

Attachments

• 16183601790963528485537101421208.jpg
    16183601790963528485537101421208.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 16183602137204723184389429527447.jpg
    16183602137204723184389429527447.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 16183602558752044158963057540637.jpg
    16183602558752044158963057540637.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 82
All in one smart
Not sure what you mean by that. :unsure:

It's not advisable to use one bucket for both and cycle it round & round. IDT anyone is doing that.
Water picks up all kinds of things (poop, dead feeders, plant matter, soil, salts & other chemicals, etc.) running through an enclosure that will clog filters, tubing and nozzles, and ruin pumps.

The whole idea of using distilled or RO water is to keep that stuff out of the system.

Back
Top Bottom