Insectislide

cyberlocc

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey I was wondering if anyone has found a source to buy this insectislide stuff, or a similar polymer?

I use vaseling in my hisser tank, and its not ideal but I guess it works, if messy and needs reapplying all the time. Also I got a nick barta style feeder cup, and my Roaches get right out. Not just the hissers, my OHs who cant climb glass climb right out of it.

I been hiding the cup in a branch, and till now didnt really use it, I would rather just craft one from the branch. However I need something like a paint product that they cant climb out of. Any ideas?

I seen this stuff, but cant seem to buy it?
http://www.insectislide.com/InsectiSlide.html

Not the answer you are looking for but I use packing tape around the top of my insect bins. Let us know if you find it and how it works.

Not the answer you are looking for but I use packing tape around the top of my insect bins. Let us know if you find it and how it works.

So that Insectislide, stated it uses common polymers, found in other products. and another research paper (more recent) suggest modeling paint being the best product for the "Slide".

I'm not opposed to tape, I am just not sure how well it will work. I lose a lot of surface area, sticking the feeder cup pvc pipe into the wood, I would rather make the whole bark the feeder cup. Not sure if I can get tape to work for that need, I will may try it though.

Following. With all my roaches, keeping the hissers and a few others in is a PITA. Would also like to be able to keep them in the feeder cup. Confused about the packing tape... they can't walk over the smooth end, or do you mean the sticky end?

I line the top of my bins with a single or sometimes double continuous strip of tape sticky side on the bin. Keeps in most insects but I don't have any hardcore roaches.

So @Syn made a thread about this product long ago, not sure if this really is the real "Insect-a-Slide" I did ask the inventor if there was a product available.

Might be worth a shot though, https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/use-of-fluon-for-insect-barrier.70598/
http://www.bioquip.com/search/DispProduct.asp?pid=2871A

Kind of expensive but if it works, then its whatever.

On another note, the foam expanded WAY MORE, than I wanted it to lol, filling in that hole wasnt easy. So I filled the rest of the round, and I will carve the feeder cup insides out of it. Likely was best, to seal all the wood, and help get me a flatter easier to manage surface to fill in with resin or something and apply the "Slide"

Does anyone have this problem with @nick barta feeder cups? I wonder if he does some other magic to make it work. I made one like his, as we had 3" ABS lying around and the screens to cap it. However its not working for me, like I said an Orange Head just climbed right out.

Do you have some secret sauce in your cups nick to keep that from happening?

Edit: this Fluon is getting good reviews on Amazon for people with Pet Ants. https://www.amazon.com/byFormica-Pr...00UJLH12A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

What you think @jamest0o0 If it stops ants will it stop hissers?

Last edited:
The bugs always seem to escape my feeder runs, but I think it is through the bottom more so than the top. They seem to eventually work thru the screen bottom or it just comes loose all together. A cham pushing on it will also pop the seal (Walter does this due to tongue issue). I also have the issue with the roaches hiding behind the screen material on the back wall.

After finding a LARGE adult female dubia had escaped the feeder run and was found by a guest in my kitchen... I hand / cup feed all roaches. Some still manage to escape to the soil, though.

I couldnt get the shooting gallery to work for me either. Charlie shot one of the pins and that was the end of that one for me.

So @Syn made a thread about this product long ago, not sure if this really is the real "Insect-a-Slide" I did ask the inventor if there was a product available.

Might be worth a shot though, https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/use-of-fluon-for-insect-barrier.70598/
http://www.bioquip.com/search/DispProduct.asp?pid=2871A

Kind of expensive but if it works, then its whatever.

On another note, the foam expanded WAY MORE, than I wanted it to lol, filling in that hole wasnt easy. So I filled the rest of the round, and I will carve the feeder cup insides out of it. Likely was best, to seal all the wood, and help get me a flatter easier to manage surface to fill in with resin or something and apply the "Slide"

Does anyone have this problem with @nick barta feeder cups? I wonder if he does some other magic to make it work. I made one like his, as we had 3" ABS lying around and the screens to cap it. However its not working for me, like I said an Orange Head just climbed right out.

Do you have some secret sauce in your cups nick to keep that from happening?

Edit: this Fluon is getting good reviews on Amazon for people with Pet Ants. https://www.amazon.com/byFormica-Pr...00UJLH12A/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

What you think @jamest0o0 If it stops ants will it stop hissers?

Would think so, I take it they aren't able to walk over it? Only thing might be, hissers are much larger than ants... not sure if that'd make a difference. I've had the same problem with feeder cups. Even dubia get out. As @snitz427 does, I generally just handfeed roaches or put them in a shallow bin feeding trough. My roach bins don't have any barrier, just gaskets. Would like something better for sure

I use deli cups, the only problem is I have to keep washing them...with the nick barta feeders try getting slick plastic or aluminum composite material and silicone it to the feeder cup back... just trying to help, I have no experience with those feeder cups

I saw someone who put a pvc cap on the bottom of a full throttle type feeder run, and then just drilled a small hole or two for drainage. I may try that and just make a 3-4” high feeding cup/bowl. I have been thinking of wrapping a piece of pvc with cork as @cyberlocc experimented with, and using the pvc cap as a bottom.

Dubia, BSFL, and Superworms are the only feeders i really put in them... I think roaches will be strictly cup fed from here out, but it sure is convenient to throw some feeders in a cup when Im in a rush. I’ve officially sworn off crickets - anything other than those three can free range.

I use deli cups, the only problem is I have to keep washing them...with the nick barta feeders try getting slick plastic or aluminum composite material and silicone it to the feeder cup back... just trying to help, I have no experience with those feeder cups

I keep getting in trouble for putting bug deli cups in the dishwasher :cautious:

Would think so, I take it they aren't able to walk over it? Only thing might be, hissers are much larger than ants... not sure if that'd make a difference. I've had the same problem with feeder cups. Even dubia get out. As @snitz427 does, I generally just handfeed roaches or put them in a shallow bin feeding trough. My roach bins don't have any barrier, just gaskets. Would like something better for sure

So I dug, deep into the roach forums and found some answers. It does work, and the more layers you have the better it works,you do as you said need a thicker band of it, 1/2 inch for ants is perfect, with a hisser not so much they can reach right over. The bad review on Amazon was met with the same from the company, he was trying to contain a T, and they said well a 1/2 strip wont do that, he will reach over try 4-5 inches and let us know.

Now, there is some statements about this paint stuff, working for most species but not all. They said it does work against hissers and runners, but Germans can still get over it somehow.

They did provide with a Gold Standard, but the price is HIGH, I am looking for a good deal. When (if lol) I find one, I will update. However what we are looking for is Skived Teflon Tape, that is the Gold Standard. Not even a Gecko can cross Teflon Tape they are saying, its 100% going to stop anything if the size is large enough.

Now the price for a .5inch roll on amazon isn't terrible, however when we jump to the 3 inch roll we want, or at least 2, it shoots up alot! The largest issue is the lenght, its expensive as is and the rolls I was linked, are 36 yards (almost 100 feet) here they are. https://www.amazon.com/JVCC-PTFE-2H...8&qid=1364576559&sr=8-77&keywords=teflon+tape

I am on the hunt for being able to buy smaller amounts at a time. At least to verify it works first, even if you have plenty of tubs to do.

Here is the best deal I have found so far. https://www.tapecase.com/pd/cn/tapes-die-cuts/1076/1000907/tc1934-5-ptfe-film-tape.aspx#

The guys on the roach forums, are very Adamant, this will stop ANYTHING, and last the longest (thick amount of Teflon).

Hissers will still climb out of deli cups. They climb glass, they are little Houdini's. Especially the babies. This sucks for me, both on feeding time and because I want to change my tank lids, right now they have mostly blocked off Screen tops (10 gallon Aquariums) I want to put sliding acrylic lids with a screen in them so I can easier access for feeding, and such. Just open a little and drop in.

I saw someone who put a pvc cap on the bottom of a full throttle type feeder run, and then just drilled a small hole or two for drainage. I may try that and just make a 3-4” high feeding cup/bowl. I have been thinking of wrapping a piece of pvc with cork as @cyberlocc experimented with, and using the pvc cap as a bottom.

Dubia, BSFL, and Superworms are the only feeders i really put in them... I think roaches will be strictly cup fed from here out, but it sure is convenient to throw some feeders in a cup when Im in a rush. I’ve officially sworn off crickets - anything other than those three can free range.

So for the Nick bartas, IDK I dont use them, I would have, no offense to him. I just had the stuff lying around already. I am not sure if my pipe is 3inch, or 4 inch. I think the later, but I have these little round vents, that are aluminum with aluminium insect screens. they are tabbed I use them for vents in totes and bins for bugs. the 3 inch vents were the perfect size to fit into the bottom of the pipe almost snugly. So I cut the tabs off, ran a decent bead of silicon around the metal (there is a lip, that goes in, maybe a 1/8 inch that the tabs were attached to) and then pressed them into the tube, set it down on the metal and let it dry. It was a perfect seal, I cant get them off if I wanted to, and there is no way any bugs eat through that.

As to your other issue, I have that one as well. There is 2 methods to fix that.

Method 1, I got the mesh like nick uses, its like 10 bucks for 10 sheets at Walmart, its Nitting screen. The first fix, is to make a bottom screen with that stuff. I wanted to do this so the cham doesnt hit his tongue on metal screen (Likely not that big of a deal) so I cut it to the size of the circle, and then ran my up and down ladder, to the bottom where it meets the metal screen. Then cut a small section out of the bottom screen, that will press the up and down ladder against the PVC tightly. They can still get in though, on the top and sides somewhat.

Method 2, is the best fix. Drop the screws. I used the screws too, and it worked, so its job was done. But maybe its not the best method. If you smear the back of the PVC with silicon (might have to sand it first) then clamp the screen down to it, so it lays flat then you can fill between the screen with eco earth if you want to hide the excess silicon. You could also use doubled sided tape, it would have to be a strong one. Then do the eco earth to remove the sticky from where they will stick their feet. You could also forgo the screen, and just do the ecoearth background method, and give them a more natural dirt covered walking path, the cham may prefer that.

As to the wrapping it in bark, I would personally do the Great stuff and Eco Earth background method. To make a Wood like Surface, you could have more control over shape and it would be easier. Or I would buy a 3/4 inch round, and cut it and open it over the shape of the pipe and let it rest like that for a while and silicon it in place. I think you had cork local though right, so probably easier for you, than someone who has to buy cork sight unseen at 3-40 dollars for a large show piece that may or may not work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom