Insect Housing

Brad Ramsey

Retired Moderator
I just put pictures of my insect housing (as it currently stands <always adjusting>) in my gallery if anyone wants to see it.
Got my Mantis oothecas last Wednesday and have one set-up to hatch.
Still no baby roaches but it's only been a month and 2 of the girls are really fat! Pregnant???
Patience, patience...the hardest part of this whole hobby:rolleyes:

-Brad

MWheelock

Veterinarian
Hey Brad,

Just looked at your gallery. Neat stuff.

One problem that I had when I started out with my roaches was that they weren't getting warm enough. Dubia grow and reproduce faster if you can keep it in the mid to high eighties. I just put a heating pad under 1/2 of the cage on low to medium. They breed much faster.( Still not as fast as I like.) I also found they did better with more cover.

I've had my dubias for about 8 months. Started out with @ 50 larger nymphs. Now I have @ 400. As soon as these nymphs are ready to reproduce, I think I'll have a very sustainable supply for Manga.

Talk to you later,
Matthew

FaunaBgirl

Mantis oothecas ... How did you set that up for hatching Brad?

I am interested also in obtaining Dubias. I looked at your gallery pictures. We all give up our closets. lol I would like to see a down shot into the bin to see the set up inside. What did you end up using for bottom cover? Food source?

Brad Ramsey

Retired Moderator
Mathew,
Thanks for the tip. I am keeping the dubias in the mid 70's now so will try to raise that a bit and see if I can speed the plow.
The Dubia tub is lined with paper towels and has stacked eggcrates in the back half. I give them a well moistened wadded paper towel and ground corn, rolled oats, apple slices, orange pieces, sweet potato slices, zuchinni, collard greens and carrot slices.
The ootheca is in a 2 and 1/2 gal. tank with a mesh top I'm keeping it in the mid 70's as well. All the seperate little enclosures in the picture are for after they hatch. I plan to seperate them into groups of 3 and 5 and supply them with fruit flies to prevent canabalism (at least as much as I can). I have space/containers to do this for about 200 and two more ootheca in the fridge.

-Brad

Dave Weldon

Avid Member
Howdy,

I'm running my undertank heater on a light dimmer set for a temp of 90F for my Dubia's. When I want to slow the breeding down, I turn the heat down to the 70's :).

jleahl

this is a little off topic, since I haven't gotten brave enough to get roaches yet (should have seen my husband's face when he unknowingly opened a box of silkies the other day!:rolleyes: ), but.....how often does everyone change the veggies in their insect cages? Every day? Every other day? Wait until it molds?

Heika

I use 25 watt red colored lightbulbs on my dubias.. it keeps the container at about 100 to 105 degrees at its hottest spot. They reproduce quite well. Once again, I am too lazy to take new pics, so please forgive these very old pictures. I got rid of the substrate many months ago, but pretty much everything else is the same. I have 4 of these containers now.

jleahl said:
this is a little off topic, since I haven't gotten brave enough to get roaches yet (should have seen my husband's face when he unknowingly opened a box of silkies the other day!:rolleyes: ), but.....how often does everyone change the veggies in their insect cages? Every day? Every other day? Wait until it molds?
I spend almost as much time on the bugs as I do on the chameleons anymore, it seems. I clean out any old uneaten fresh fruits or vegetables every other day and replace it. I use wet mixes based on yogurt, cottage cheese, boiled egg, etc. also, and that mixture goes into the bug container in the morning and I toss any leftovers in the evening.

Heika

Top Bottom