Injury? Infection? Mouth rot?

Hey how is Lennon doing today?

Thanks for asking. So this morning I had to wake him up early to see how he was doing and get him out of the travel tote. He was kinda out of it a bit like what’s going on kinda thing. Took a bit for him to climb into his cage. He seemed to be alright but unsure. I didn’t have time to give him his pain meds since he took so long to get going and I had to go to work.

When I got home he seemed ok but just chilling. I have been trying to get him to eat a hornworm with his meds injected into them for over an hour now. He’s starting to seem interested so I have it in a bowl and I’m waiting close by till I hear him take it so I can watch him eat and see how he’s doing. I really don’t want to have to force it on him. 2morrow I should hopefully be able to get him to take it before I go to work. As I was typing this out he ate it and I didn’t get to watch but I guess it went ok. I’ll give him something else and see.

How much was the surgery, If I may ask?

Here is the break down. Will be different at different vets though. There was also the cost of the exam when I noticed it and a fecal test since he pooped on the way their so that was $170 plus the procedure breakdown below.

ED0A26E6-10AC-4C7C-9989-D30E05364354.jpeg

Thanks for asking. So this morning I had to wake him up early to see how he was doing and get him out of the travel tote. He was kinda out of it a bit like what’s going on kinda thing. Took a bit for him to climb into his cage. He seemed to be alright but unsure. I didn’t have time to give him his pain meds since he took so long to get going and I had to go to work.

When I got home he seemed ok but just chilling. I have been trying to get him to eat a hornworm with his meds injected into them for over an hour now. He’s starting to seem interested so I have it in a bowl and I’m waiting close by till I hear him take it so I can watch him eat and see how he’s doing. I really don’t want to have to force it on him. 2morrow I should hopefully be able to get him to take it before I go to work. As I was typing this out he ate it and I didn’t get to watch but I guess it went ok. I’ll give him something else and see.
Of course hun! I’m glad he took the worm... at least he wants to eat. Keep us updated on his progress. I’m sure this is stressful for you as well. Your doing a great job and he is lucky to have a keeper as devoted as you are. :)

Of course hun! I’m glad he took the worm... at least he wants to eat. Keep us updated on his progress. I’m sure this is stressful for you as well. Your doing a great job and he is lucky to have a keeper as devoted as you are. :)

Ya I wasn’t really feeling the stress until today being at work wondering how he is. then trying to get him to take the worm was frustrating. As soon as I opened his cage to give it to him he did the hide behind his vine move and sat like that for a long time after I gave up trying to hand feed and put it in his dish.

Ya I wasn’t really feeling the stress until today being at work wondering how he is. then trying to get him to take the worm was frustrating. As soon as I opened his cage to give it to him he did the hide behind his vine move and sat like that for a long time after I gave up trying to hand feed and put it in his dish.
It will hopefully get easier for both of you :)

Lennon seemed to be more alert and himself this morning. I managed to get him to eat a hornworm with his meds before I left for work. He seemed to take it down fine but didn’t really chew it to much just kinda slowly swallowed it. At least that should help him feel a bit better for the day.

Lennon seemed to be more alert and himself this morning. I managed to get him to eat a hornworm with his meds before I left for work. He seemed to take it down fine but didn’t really chew it to much just kinda slowly swallowed it. At least that should help him feel a bit better for the day.
So happy to hear this. Should make it easier for you to be gone today knowing he will be pain free. :)

It's still a lot of money, but I was thinking like in the thousands. At least is doable

Ya was a minor surgery so they can’t really charge thousands. If it was something more major I’m sure it would be a lot more. It’s do able But $959.37 is a crap load of money for me. That plus gas to get there and back was basically my entire pay check. I only work like 8 1/2 months a year so every penny counts.

Edit: I don’t care about the money as long as Lennon’s ok was just sayin. I mean it’s not bad when you look at the break down of costs but to have it all hit at once is hard.

Last edited:
Lennon seems to be feeling better now. Yesterday I went to check on him and he literally jumped towards the door of his cage wanting to come out. I should be getting a call in the next couple days about what the growth was.
So happy to hear this! Let us know what they say about the growth when you find out.

Great news! It was just a benign growth.

They said it looked interesting but was just a mass of tissue.

Lennon has a bit of a recessed lip now cause the vet cauterized the area so it wouldn’t grow back. A couple of the scales on his lip had turned kinda black. The vet used a little stick to kinda peel it off and he said he was happy to see that cause it’s healing up well.

I have to take him back in January to get the wire removed. He said he’s like the hulk of chameleons since he was able to break his own jaw while almost fully sedated.

Last edited:
Great news! It was just a benign growth.

They said it looked interesting but was just a mass of tissue.

Lennon has a bit of a recessed lip now cause the vet cauterized the area so it wouldn’t grow back. A couple of the scales on his lip had turned kinda black. The vet used a little stick to kinda peel it off and he said he was happy to say that cause it’s healing up well.

I have to take him back in January to get the wire removed. He said he’s like the hulk of chameleons since he was able to break his own jaw while almost fully sedated.
Oh thank goodness!!!!! That is amazing news and I can not tell you how wonderful it is to know he is going to heal up perfectly!

Oh thank goodness!!!!! That is amazing news and I can not tell you how wonderful it is to know he is going to heal up perfectly!

yes it’s a big relief. It’s been stressful wondering what it was and if he’s ok. He’s eating better now and actually chewing his food so I guess his jaw is feeling better. The vet said if it was a mammal he would of removed the wire today but since chameleons take a lot longer to heal he likes to give it longer.

thanks everyone for the support. Makes me really glad I found the forums. Without everyone’s help and knowledge I would be lost. And Lennon thanks you 2 for teaching me how to keep him healthy.

Back
Top Bottom