injured veiled

shar

I noticed today during misting that my female chameleon has an injured back leg. She is housed in a large cage with a male. I have never had a problem in the past but it appears that she has been bitten several times in the leg. She is still happily eating and drinking. Should I put anything on the injury to keep it from getting infected. She has been moved to her own enclosure permanently.

Define large cage? Veileds should not be housed together. Also how old are they?

As far as the injury did it break the skin or is it just a bruise?

if its an open sore disinfect and keep it dry, watch her closely for any changes

let me stress this again. KEEP IT DRY. moisture and heat breed bacteria at astonishing rates

injured chameleon reply

The cage is 3ft long by 5feet high the chameleons are approx. 1 year old and yes the skin was broken and bleeding. She is moving about but not using the leg.

As big as it seems its not big enough. Male Veileds are very territorial, and now that he is maturing, you will notice more problems.

People have used neosporin before, also, keep an eye out for infection.

I would separate them immediately.

Last edited:
I noticed today during misting that my female chameleon has an injured back leg. She is housed in a large cage with a male. I have never had a problem in the past but it appears that she has been bitten several times in the leg. She is still happily eating and drinking. Should I put anything on the injury to keep it from getting infected. She has been moved to her own enclosure permanently.

Well done on doing that straight away

I would take her to a vet if you can

Good luck and i wish your little girl a speedy recovery :)

Stick around and keep us updated :D

Thanks, I will try the neosporin. I did move her to her own enclosure as soon as I noticed the injury.

I would get her to a vet asap, even though you are putting neosporin on it. She still needs to see the vet in case the injury is greater than you realize and for proper treatment of the wound.

Silver Sulfadiazine cream (1%) is better than neosporin not only for healing purposes, but also as an anti-fungal/anit-bacterial. This you will need to get from the vet as you cannot get it over the counter.

So true about moisture being a bed of bacteria. It can multiply horrendously fast. So just keep it dry. pictures would gladly help any advice. And I agree, if she's not using it, it very well might be broken.

The cage is not glass. I certainly know better than that. It is a 3ft long x 5 ft heigh screen cage. Live plants, misted regulary, cleaned daily,basking area, UVB lighting. There was a male and female together, they were only together because they were from the same hatch, had never showed any signs of aggression and I was pushing my luck by not separating them earlier. Yes, they are separate now. On the positive side. The female (with the injury) seems to be fine. She is once again using the foot. I am keeping it dry with neosporin on it, (which she hates for me to put on). She is eating and drinking as she always does and seems to be adjusting to her new cage.
Thanks for asking.

Back
Top Bottom