Injured tail??

arrussek

Hello all! Below is my little girl Bonnie! She also has a friend, Clyde ?. My bf and I got them about two weeks ago and are excited to be taking care of them and learning as we go (no worries, they are well fed and we are in the process of making a bigger home for them).

As you may have seen in the picture though, her tail isn’t curled in all the way and looks injured or infected? Trying to shed skin, but unsuccessfully? I tried looking up possible causes. Now looking for opinions! Bonnie is not showing any signs of distress and I don’t know if her tail is hurting ?. I plan on taking her to the vet with the possibility of it being amputated, being that it may not heal on its own. All opinions/suggestions welcome!

Side note: the tail did NOT look like this yesterday 2/29.

95CDF929-2D22-4E28-B76A-611650098F2C.jpeg

Im new to this world too but I see nobody is answering you here.. So maybe its about your vitamins..to much or no enough vitamins can affect their tails ( at least people told me that) or you have bad uvb light maybe? Anyway go to vet to see what is it exactly.. Tell me what you found out!

Hello all! Below is my little girl Bonnie! She also has a friend, Clyde ?. My bf and I got them about two weeks ago and are excited to be taking care of them and learning as we go (no worries, they are well fed and we are in the process of making a bigger home for them).

As you may have seen in the picture though, her tail isn’t curled in all the way and looks injured or infected? Trying to shed skin, but unsuccessfully? I tried looking up possible causes. Now looking for opinions! Bonnie is not showing any signs of distress and I don’t know if her tail is hurting ?. I plan on taking her to the vet with the possibility of it being amputated, being that it may not heal on its own. All opinions/suggestions welcome!

View attachment 259798
And if you go to vet dont try to grab him and pull him out just like that try to get him on some stick and bait him with food. For the better future in your relationship :)

There are other possibilities (injury, birth defect, strangulation by stuck shed, etc) but I would try to confirm or eliminate that possibility first

She said two weeks, so any problems with development would have already started.

With proper care she will likely be fine, even if there is a crick in her tail. You can't reverse some problems, but with care they can be overcome.

UVB, vitamins, humidity. Find this balance and you will do great.

OHHHH and they can not live together. I was mislead on this as well. I had a huge enclosure in a whole room. They can't stand the sight of each other. Well except when you know.
When the are ready she will be receptive.

Read up on feeding temp and controlling the clutch size. I got way to many(59) before I new. It is not mentioned alot.

This is my first at chams as well, though I have raised/bread many other species.

Im new to this world too but I see nobody is answering you here.. So maybe its about your vitamins..to much or no enough vitamins can affect their tails ( at least people told me that) or you have bad uvb light maybe? Anyway go to vet to see what is it exactly.. Tell me what you found out!

I took her to the vet this morning and found that it is most likely a CRICKET bite and was advised to not feed crickets because they can also potentially harm inside the chameleon with their biting and exoskeletons. With that I was advised that Dubai roaches are best to feed. Any worms should just be a once in a while treat.
As far as treating her tail. A dab of Neosporin to prevent infection. The vet believes the end of her tail will dry up and fall off, to just let nature take its course basically. I am to keep monitoring it otherwise and go back in 2 weeks to make sure she is still ok!

View attachment 259798

UPDATE
I’m going to try to answer some of your questions in one post:

-Not a birth defect. Bonnie’s tail was completely normal Feb 29th. March 1st I noticed the “injury” and made a vet appointment. She went in this morning the 3rd to be checked out (**more info below).

-Currently my 2 chameleons do live together. But they seem to be fine so far, no fighting that I’ve observed. Sometimes they tolerate each other on the same vine when basking. A new taller enclosure is being made for them and they can be separated then.

**I took her to the vet this morning and found that it is most likely a CRICKET bite and was advised to not feed crickets because they can also potentially harm inside the chameleon with their biting and exoskeletons. With that I was advised that Dubai roaches are best to feed. Any worms should just be a once in a while treat. (If any of you feel differently about diet, I appreciate any advice)

As far as treating her tail, a dab of Neosporin to prevent infection. The vet believes the end of her tail will dry up and fall off, to just let nature take its course basically. I am to keep monitoring it otherwise and go back in 2 weeks to make sure she is still ok!

Cage climate and diet otherwise had nothing to do with her tail. My chameleons eat well and are well hydrated based on poops/urate color which are white to very light yellow most of the time.

If there is anymore advice on diet or if you believe the vet misled me with the cricket info let me know, I gladly appreciate it! Thank you ?

UPDATE
I’m going to try to answer some of your questions in one post:

-Not a birth defect. Bonnie’s tail was completely normal Feb 29th. March 1st I noticed the “injury” and made a vet appointment. She went in this morning the 3rd to be checked out (**more info below).

-Currently my 2 chameleons do live together. But they seem to be fine so far, no fighting that I’ve observed. Sometimes they tolerate each other on the same vine when basking. A new taller enclosure is being made for them and they can be separated then.

**I took her to the vet this morning and found that it is most likely a CRICKET bite and was advised to not feed crickets because they can also potentially harm inside the chameleon with their biting and exoskeletons. With that I was advised that Dubai roaches are best to feed. Any worms should just be a once in a while treat. (If any of you feel differently about diet, I appreciate any advice)

As far as treating her tail, a dab of Neosporin to prevent infection. The vet believes the end of her tail will dry up and fall off, to just let nature take its course basically. I am to keep monitoring it otherwise and go back in 2 weeks to make sure she is still ok!

Cage climate and diet otherwise had nothing to do with her tail. My chameleons eat well and are well hydrated based on poops/urate color which are white to very light yellow most of the time.

If there is anymore advice on diet or if you believe the vet misled me with the cricket info let me know, I gladly appreciate it! Thank you ?
I hope everything gets better and that they get separated soon, even if they do tolerate each other the female can go through a lot of stress being with a male. It tends to shorten their life.

Chameleons internalize their stress. In the wild they avoid each other unless a female is receptive to mating. Once that is over they again avoid each other. Eventually the stress from being forced to compete for basking space and feeding opportunities is going to affect the health of one or both of them. She's going to spend all her time and strength trying to avoid mating and he is going to be in a constant state of readiness. Chameleons that are too crowded will bite each others tails. I don't know if they think it is a worm or they are being aggressive.
You should start with this and make the necessary adjustments to your care.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Chameleons internalize their stress. In the wild they avoid each other unless a female is receptive to mating. Once that is over they again avoid each other. Eventually the stress from being forced to compete for basking space and feeding opportunities is going to affect the health of one or both of them. She's going to spend all her time and strength trying to avoid mating and he is going to be in a constant state of readiness. Chameleons that are too crowded will bite each others tails. I don't know if they think it is a worm or they are being aggressive.
You should start with this and make the necessary adjustments to your care.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Isn't that a velied tho? :p

Back
Top Bottom