Injured chameleon and trying to reduce mobility

He used to live in a taller enclosure which is handmade just for him since his old own was breaking. But he somehow got injured, I took him to the vet yesterday, ultrasound was good but the X-rays wasn’t. One vet says it might not be MBD since he works with chameleons for 10 years. But I will do a follow up so he can get mass sampling and blood work. So I’m trying to reduce his mobility but he’s very determined to keep moving and climbing. So I gave him a smaller enclosure, some climbing because I know he will try to climb one way or another because he can be stubborn. He has resting areas to relax and I only own one small plant so the enclosure looks ugly and cramped.

He’s able to relax his injured leg when he’s relaxing, climbing etc. So I feel like he knows what to do since overall he’s very healthy but the leg is an issue. He’s on 2 pain meds one for inflammatory and one for antibiotics until I can set up an appointment for a follow up. The reptile vet won’t be in until Wednesday. I have him for 5 years so I don’t think I’m a bad reptile mom even tho I feel so bad and still wondering how this even happened. So if there’s ways to make his smaller home better that would be great.

Attachments

• B21C24AA-055B-4D67-96A5-34E2C73F6420.jpeg
    B21C24AA-055B-4D67-96A5-34E2C73F6420.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 77ADA70F-746D-4B5D-94DE-95AFD095C109.jpeg
    77ADA70F-746D-4B5D-94DE-95AFD095C109.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 67
It is more then likely related to MBD. You are not using linear T5HO fixture with UVB bulb. Depending on which screw in type your using these are known for issues.

Be careful with that tiny cage. He is getting really close the the lighting. which if that is the heat fixture can mean thermal burns.

What exactly is going on with the limb?

It is more then likely related to MBD. You are not using linear T5HO fixture with UVB bulb. Depending on which screw in type your using these are known for issues.

Be careful with that tiny cage. He is getting really close the the lighting. which if that is the heat fixture can mean thermal burns.

What exactly is going on with the limb?
I have him for 5 years and get him yearly check ups plus one vet says it could be something else. I also have this cage and know that it’s fine. He won’t burn himself. I just need help to make sure he’s comfortable in his enclosure

I have him for 5 years and get him yearly check ups plus one vet says it could be something else. I also have this cage and know that it’s fine. He won’t burn himself. I just need help to make sure he’s comfortable in his enclosure
What exactly is going on with the limb? Is there swelling? There could be a lot going on. He is at an age where other things can present themselves.

He is not going to be all that comfortable in the small enclosure. It is not what he is used to and it is significantly smaller. But with health issues we have to do what is best for them so if that means a smaller enclosure then that is what it is.

What exactly is going on with the limb? Is there swelling? There could be a lot going on. He is at an age where other things can present themselves.

He is not going to be all that comfortable in the small enclosure. It is not what he is used to and it is significantly smaller. But with health issues we have to do what is best for them so if that means a smaller enclosure then that is what it is.
There’s swelling and inflammation but there’s also fractures but they think it might be cancer or something else entirely until I can go back this week for sampling and blood work. They don’t think it’s MBD. But ya he is 5 years old and that is senior but I’m hoping he can overcome this because during the examination he’s very healthy. The rest of his bones are healthy, he’s hydrated, his weight is fine. Just the leg is the problem. I would take him out and look at the window or take him outside to get fresh air and he never has problems. I also make sure to take him out of his enclosure so he can walk around the room without climbing and make sure to rest on a pillow when he’s asleep so his limbs would relax. The bump came out of nowhere because I always check him out daily and then boom there’s this bump out of nowhere.

There’s swelling and inflammation but there’s also fractures but they think it might be cancer or something else entirely until I can go back this week for sampling and blood work. They don’t think it’s MBD. But ya he is 5 years old and that is senior but I’m hoping he can overcome this because during the examination he’s very healthy. The rest of his bones are healthy, he’s hydrated, his weight is fine. Just the leg is the problem. I would take him out and look at the window or take him outside to get fresh air and he never has problems. I also make sure to take him out of his enclosure so he can walk around the room without climbing and make sure to rest on a pillow when he’s asleep so his limbs would relax. The bump came out of nowhere because I always check him out daily and then boom there’s this bump out of nowhere.
Can you get a pic up close of the limb? Gout is another possibility as well depending on what the swelling looks like. Gout can in turn cause a fall which can lead to fractures. Blood work will tell you if there is a uric acid issue along with his calcium levels.

Can you get a pic up close of the limb? Gout is another possibility as well depending on what the swelling looks like. Gout can in turn cause a fall which can lead to fractures. Blood work will tell you if there is a uric acid issue along with his calcium levels.
They think Gout could also be that as well. Ya I feel like the blood work will make sure if his calcium levels is good or what needs to be improved because I do feed him calcium everyday. And I only miss one or 2 days due to pet store ran out until a fresh batch. Plus the sampling would help to see if it’s cancer or gout. The main thing he still has energy with some sleepiness here and there due to pain meds and his body getting used to it. He’s still eating and still hydrated.

Attachments

• 8641A37E-B742-4DBD-9B3E-A64FF3128C42.jpeg
    8641A37E-B742-4DBD-9B3E-A64FF3128C42.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 58
  • B65A4A19-32B9-49C8-82B1-6C6DD6F0202D.jpeg
    B65A4A19-32B9-49C8-82B1-6C6DD6F0202D.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 62
They think Gout could also be that as well. Ya I feel like the blood work will make sure if his calcium levels is good or what needs to be improved because I do feed him calcium everyday. And I only miss one or 2 days due to pet store ran out until a fresh batch. Plus the sampling would help to see if it’s cancer or gout. The main thing he still has energy with some sleepiness here and there due to pain meds and his body getting used to it. He’s still eating and still hydrated.
Looks like gout to me. Are you using calcium without d3 as your most of the time supplement and then a calcium with D3 and multivitamin 2 times a month?

Looks like gout to me. Are you using calcium without d3 as your most of the time supplement and then a calcium with D3 and multivitamin 2 times a month?
Ya I’m using calcium without D3 as most of the time supplement. I do calcium d3 2 times a week at times and multivitamins. So I think I’m going to bump that down and only give him calcium in case maybe he did have too much. I have him for 5 years and his vet would’ve said if I’ve done too much and he would have MBD way sooner. So ya I’m going to switch his D3 and vitamins now for safety because I really don’t want to be a horrible reptile mom because I’m trying my hardest to give him the best life he can. His vet would always tell me he might live longer like extra 2-3 years because he’s very healthy.

Ya I’m using calcium without D3 as most of the time supplement. I do calcium d3 2 times a week at times and multivitamins. So I think I’m going to bump that down and only give him calcium in case maybe he did have too much. I have him for 5 years and his vet would’ve said if I’ve done too much and he would have MBD way sooner. So ya I’m going to switch his D3 and vitamins now for safety because I really don’t want to be a horrible reptile mom because I’m trying my hardest to give him the best life he can. His vet would always tell me he might live longer like extra 2-3 years because he’s very healthy.
So depending on the exact supplements doing too much calcium with D3 can actually make the bones weaker.

I would do the blood draw and rule out gout... Gout can be extremely painful for them.

So depending on the exact supplements doing too much calcium with D3 can actually make the bones weaker.

I would do the blood draw and rule out gout... Gout can be extremely painful for them.
Kk I will do the blood work first and if it’s fine then do the sampling. I hope he can recovers with this. Do they fix bones or help it?

We can give a lot of calcium through the diet..it's safe....very hard to overdose calcium as long as you don't overdo the D3. The danger of overdose comes only from an overdose of vitamin D3 from supplements as a rule. The D3 is what allows the calcium to be absorbed by the chameleon....if we have to have the right amount of D3, then the proper amount of calcium would be absorbed. Vitamin A also plays a part and needs to be in proper balance with the D3.

We can give a lot of calcium of through the diet..it's safe....very hard to overdose calcium as long as you don't overdo the D3. The danger of overdose comes only from an overdose of vitamin D3 from supplements as a rule. The D3 is what allows the calcium to be absorbed by the chameleon....if we have to have the right amount of D3, then the proper amount of calcium would be absorbed. Vitamin A also plays a part and needs to be in proper balance with the D3.
Kk so I should 100% get a blood work done to make sure before we get the sampling. Because maybe the blood work will show something and maybe he wouldn’t need a sampling and just more meds and a cast to heal the bones?

We can give a lot of calcium through the diet..it's safe....very hard to overdose calcium as long as you don't overdo the D3. The danger of overdose comes only from an overdose of vitamin D3 from supplements as a rule. The D3 is what allows the calcium to be absorbed by the chameleon....if we have to have the right amount of D3, then the proper amount of calcium would be absorbed. Vitamin A also plays a part and needs to be in proper balance with the D3.
i will read it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom