Info regarding retained clutches

BocaJan

I went to the vet today (exotic vet) and learned some new info I thought I'd pass on. I have one lady who for about 6 weeks has been passing white jello like urates. My hunch was a retained clutch that was being absorbed. I have another little girl 1o months old who was not acting well. She has had her eyes closed for 4 days, wasn't eating or drinking and I was worried. I started giving her reptaid, hand feeding her and giving her fluids but she wasn't improving. I didn't feel any eggs but she looked pretty chunky so I took her into the vet.

Found out she had a large clutch of unshelled eggs which is why I couldn't feel them. The vet gave her oxytoxin and hopefully she will pass these. She rinsed out her eyes so they won't get that covering over them and she can open them again. She had a blood test and her fluid level was almost to the dangerous level but she said I was doing a good job, so I am going to feed her supers injected with water along with vit e 2x/week. Make sure she gets sprayed 3x/day. I think I'll put her outside under the patio so she can get some good UVB and I can water her down very well. She will be getting lots of TLC. She is Lois, Luie and Camille's daughter. She is a very pretty girl and I don't want anything to happen to her. I have never had infertile girls before.

My other one is passing an absorbed infertile clutch. Go figure. At least they aren't impacted. If they had shells on those eggs it would be all over poor babies. I am watching them both like a hawk and they will be good to go in a couple months. Mommy says so. If there are any relapses Dr. Grant is great!

oh dear, Hopfully she will make a swift recovery.
I have a Louie and Camille daughter as well, Annastasia, I just gave her a laying bin because she looked big although I can not feel any eggs.

Please keep us updated.

Could it be a problem with the shelling gland? I had a veiled that a male attacked before I could stop him. She produced "yolkarrhea" and then a few days later "1/2" a clutch that was normal for years.

Could you please clarify that yolkarrhea a bit? I have had a clutch with a poor shell formation before and thought it was just me not providing enough calcium on the crickets.

Thanks.

Could it be a problem with the shelling gland? I had a veiled that a male attacked before I could stop him. She produced "yolkarrhea" and then a few days later "1/2" a clutch that was normal for years.

We (my vet and I) thought that the shelling gland was damaged somehow and one "half" of the clutch would come out as the contents of the eggs (yolkarrea) as though she defecated it out while a few days later she would lay a "half" clutch of eggs that were normal. This went on for several years so she didn't get an infection from it....she seemed perfectly normal.

We (my vet and I) thought that the shelling gland was damaged somehow and one "half" of the clutch would come out as the contents of the eggs (yolkarrea) as though she defecated it out while a few days later she would lay a "half" clutch of eggs that were normal. This went on for several years so she didn't get an infection from it....she seemed perfectly normal.

So you had a female lay unshelled eggs? I had a female where the xray showed unshelled eggs but she reabsorbed them.

That's what it seemed to be.

I have also heard of a female resorbing the eggs...but since I didn't see it for myself, I'm not sure if it really happened.

Back
Top Bottom