infertile eggs...now what?

keecoi

my veiled just laid infertile eggs...so now im wondering what to do with them.i wish they were but 100% infertile. so what do u guys do?dump em out or hope for a miracle?please...i need input or advice.thanks!

Did the female mate or did she just lay some eggs. If she did not mate, yes they are not fertile. If she did mate, I would treat them as good(unless it is very obvious they are not fertile). If they go bad, you will know within a couple weeks.

what to expect after they lay thier egg?what are the signs to look for that they're doing ok/not ok.i know i gotta beef up the food and misting.hope to here ur thoughts and experience. thanks!

Theyll shrivel up and mold up as opposed to staying shapely and white. I flush bad eggs down the toilet. If shes never seen a male and youve had her since she was a baby, theyre guarenteed infertile. lol

Make sure she gets plenty calcium and hydration. Laying eggs (infertile or not) can cause an acute calcium deficiency in the cham that may need to be treated with oral liquid calcium.

Did she dig and lay them properly? How big was the clutch. There is always a risk that she may still have a few eggs left inside of her. Unfortunately it's very hard to tell, even after an x-ray and vet examination.
You'll have to monitor her behaviour closely: she should start eating again normally, and she should be passing feces regularly. If not, there may be a problem.

It's not a bad idea to have her checked out by a good herp vet, just as a precaution.

As for my experiences: my female Veiled recently laid a very large clutch of infertile eggs. Not all of them were laid initially - a few only came out a few days later after a vet had administered oxytocin (we weren't certain that there were more eggs in her, but since it had been a large clutch, it was administered as a precaution).
Also, her tongue went limp when she shot it out at crickets. I gave her liquid calcium daily for two weeks which corrected the tongue problem.
But after all the meds and supplements it took quite a while for her digestive system to begin working properly again. She only pooped weekly for about three weeks.

Basically, laying eggs (again: infertile or not) takes a lot out of any female. You have to provide a lot of care and attention in the weeks that follow.
Also, my female was 15 months old when she laid her clutch, so she was fully grown and her bones properly formed. Your girl is even younger, so the depletion of calcium may have a greater effect. Make sure she gets good supplementation.

:)Thanks a million!!!!!!she's eating right now (veggies and crix). plenty of calcium.one last question,probably a dumb one but if she's up and about and looks like back to normal,would it still be possible that she's still has some eggs left?i dont see her trying to climb down and dig.coz i still left her initial or predigging site in her cage.

if it wasnt for this forum,id probably missed all the sign.thanks again!:)

My chameleon is 3 months and about to turn 4 months and when she does will she lay eggs. If she does how many will there be, and what will I do with the eggs.

I'm assuming you have a veiled chameleon. There's no telling how many eggs there will be...they don't lay a specific amount...it depends somewhat on your profile husbandry. There's no telling when she will lay eggs either until you notice that she's getting fat and has the right colors. When they are laid just count them and toss them. We count so we know if she's being overfed or not. Don't overfeed her constantly once she reaches her big girl colors...it will make her produce a huge clutch can lead to prolapsing, MBD, eggbinding, etc. Do you ha e a proper egglaying bin IN her cage? When she does start digging don't let her see you watching her or she will likely abandon the hole. If it happens enough it can lead to eggbinding.

You can feed her as much as she'll eat in a couple of minutes at each feeding at that age but when she changes to her big girl colors you need to be careful not to overfeed her constantly then.

The lay bin should be an opaque container at least 12"deep by 12" by 8" filled with washed playsand that is just moist enough to hold a tunnel. This gives her somewhere to dig to show you that she needs to lay eggs. Most will lay the eggs in that bin but some need to be moved to a larger bin once they start digging seriously.

Here's the way it should go when they're ready to lay eggs. They will roam the cage looking for a spot to lay the eggs...likely drink more water...may slow down or even stop eating...may dig several test holes but should settle on one and dig it until they are happy with it. It may take several days for all of this to happen. They will then go butt down into the hole, usually in the evening and lay the eggs. Some do it quickly... some stay in the house!e overnight. When they're done laying they will fill the hole in and tamp it down and return to the branches hungry and thirsty. At this point you can dig the eggs up. If she was mated you will need to have an incubator or a dark place that sits at about 72 to 74F.

If things don't go the way I described then let us know because we don't want to see her eggbound.

Ask about the incubating if you need to know about it once your female is digging!

Does she have to be in the cage when she lays eggs? 'Cause my cage is rather small for a 12x12 box to stay in there, let alone fit through the door. should i get a new cage?

You should get a new cage for sure.
IMHO it's important to have the lay bin in the cage all the time once an egglaying female I sadly so you don't miss the sometimes subtle signs of being ready to lay. Egg binding is one of the most common causes of death in female chameleons.

Last edited:
You also want to count the infertile eggs that are laid so you know if you're feeding her right and keeping the basking temperatures right.

You should get a new cage for sure.
IMHO it's important to have the lay bin in the cage all the time once an egglaying female I sadly so you don't miss the sometimes subtle signs of being ready to lay. Egg binding is one of the most common causes of death in female chameleons.
thank you very much, im planning on making a new cage for my baby girl with my dad.

Back
Top Bottom