Infection!!!

Dylan.Wallace

Hey everyone, just posting to get recommendations on what else i can do for my little man. I've got two jacksons (bonnie and clyde), one is a 8 month old female and the other is a 6 month old jacksons. I noticed a few days ago the males mouth was swelling along with his eye and a little black on his lips. He quit eating and seemed to sleep all the time so I took him to the hospital today and they are doing two cultures along with Ceftazadime shots every two days. Once i get the results back we will know exactly what happened and what antibiotic to use. So what im wondering is.... what does everyone use as far as vitamins and calcium and feeders. They currently eat super-worms and crickets and i dust this calcium on them every day. It DOES have d3 but im seeing a lot of back and forth on whether to use d3 or not. (he has not seen daylight untill his first time this summer) Also it lacks in other vitamins so im wanting to get better supplements. ANY help would be appreciated!!! Im very concerned for him and im a lot of money into this problem now but hes worth it.
Cage size: 6ftX3ftX3ft
Temp: night 70-75 Day 80-85 (90 basking atm due to vet recomending because sick)
Humidity: 60%-80% depending on temp
Sprayer: every 3hrs for 60 seconds
Food: crickets and superworms dusted with calcium
Live Plants: 4ft ficus (washed)
Lighting: 100w uvb backing bulb (fluckers) 60w daylight bulb 60w normal house bulb
Pic of him on my hand is the before we went to vet pic. all others is after looking a little better.
Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 20180124_201216.jpg
    20180124_201216.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20180125_184127.jpg
    20180125_184127.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_20180125-192514.png
    Screenshot_20180125-192514.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
  • 20180121_204312 (1).jpg
    20180121_204312 (1).jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20180125_192607.jpg
    20180125_192607.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 20180125_192620.jpg
    20180125_192620.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 20180125_192628.jpg
    20180125_192628.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 105
You said..."Hey everyone, just posting to get recommendations on what else i can do for my little man. I've got two jacksons (bonnie and clyde), one is a 8 month old female and the other is a 6 month old jacksons"...are they in the same cage?

You said..."I noticed a few days ago the males mouth was swelling along with his eye and a little black on his lips. He quit eating and seemed to sleep all the time so I took him to the hospital today and they are doing two cultures along with Ceftazadime shots every two days. Once i get the results back we will know exactly what happened and what antibiotic to use"...chances are that the bacteria is pseudomonas aeriginosa. It's the most common one in mouth and gland infections. Jackson's are famous for getting infections in the temporal glands in the corner of the mouth and it often affects the eye and mouth.

You said..." what does everyone use as far as vitamins and calcium and feeders. They currently eat super-worms and crickets and i dust this calcium on them every day. It DOES have d3 but im seeing a lot of back and forth on whether to use d3 or not"....there are lots of acceptable supplement products out there. I use Rep-Cal phosphorus-free calcium powder at almost every feeding and Rep-Cal phosphorus-free calcium with D3 twice a month lightly and Herptivite vitamins twice a month lightly....but some people do the vitamins and D3 powders only once a month for Jackson's chameleons. Hopefully some of them will chime in here.

You said..."Sprayer: every 3hrs for 60 seconds"...I would increase the length of time per spray to stimulate drinking and add a dripper. The dripper can be a tall deli cup with a tiny hole in the bottom of it so it drips at the rate of one or two drips per second. Don't run either at night....you want the cage to dry out.

You can add silkworms, roaches, locusts, BSFL, small hornworms, etc to the diet.
Are you feeding/ gutloading the crickets and superworms with greens and veggies and a small amount of fruit such as dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, squash, sweet potato, carrots, sweet red pepper, melon, apple, pear, berries, etc?

Didn't vet clean out the area and flush it??

You said..."Hey everyone, just posting to get recommendations on what else i can do for my little man. I've got two jacksons (bonnie and clyde), one is a 8 month old female and the other is a 6 month old jacksons"...are they in the same cage?

You said..."I noticed a few days ago the males mouth was swelling along with his eye and a little black on his lips. He quit eating and seemed to sleep all the time so I took him to the hospital today and they are doing two cultures along with Ceftazadime shots every two days. Once i get the results back we will know exactly what happened and what antibiotic to use"...chances are that the bacteria is pseudomonas aeriginosa. It's the most common one in mouth and gland infections. Jackson's are famous for getting infections in the temporal glands in the corner of the mouth and it often affects the eye and mouth.

You said..." what does everyone use as far as vitamins and calcium and feeders. They currently eat super-worms and crickets and i dust this calcium on them every day. It DOES have d3 but im seeing a lot of back and forth on whether to use d3 or not"....there are lots of acceptable supplement products out there. I use Rep-Cal phosphorus-free calcium powder at almost every feeding and Rep-Cal phosphorus-free calcium with D3 twice a month lightly and Herptivite vitamins twice a month lightly....but some people do the vitamins and D3 powders only once a month for Jackson's chameleons. Hopefully some of them will chime in here.

You said..."Sprayer: every 3hrs for 60 seconds"...I would increase the length of time per spray to stimulate drinking and add a dripper. The dripper can be a tall deli cup with a tiny hole in the bottom of it so it drips at the rate of one or two drips per second. Don't run either at night....you want the cage to dry out.

You can add silkworms, roaches, locusts, BSFL, small hornworms, etc to the diet.
Are you feeding/ gutloading the crickets and superworms with greens and veggies and a small amount of fruit such as dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, squash, sweet potato, carrots, sweet red pepper, melon, apple, pear, berries, etc?

Didn't vet clean out the area and flush it??

Thank you for the detailed response. I have been my crickets that gel cricket food but will switch over. They are in the same cage but able to hide from each other if wanted. He likes to hop on her back and ride her around for a bit. Thanks for the cup idea. Ive been thinking about a drip set up. And yes the vet did pretty good. Im mainly worried about him not eating. Shes a brute. Happy as can be.

Last edited:
You do realize that they will breed as soon as they are mature don't you? It won't matter if the female is full grown or not.
It will likely be stressful to her to be gravid in the same cage with him. I've rarely kept chameleons in pairs because most seem to do better alone...only put together to mate.

They need to be separated from each other immediately.I wouldn't be surprised if the infection is from an injury caused in a... small scuffle since chams very rarely do large fights even between adult males. Doesn't take much though. It looks like it make be a temporal gland infection though from the area and swelling? And I know a lot of montanes especially jacksons are prone to that? I agree a lot with supplement recommendations by @kinyonga . However a lot of supplements have worked for various montanes I have worked with in the past (three jacksons of two subspecies) I have used LoD repashy once a week with calcium the rest of the dustings. I have also used Calcium Plus with a certain jackson who had a propensity for having deficiencies quickly which is usually the opposite for montanes, which I used Calcium plus once every other month, and use LoD twice a month and calcium the rest of the dustings. And then there is the one Kinyonga mentioned above. I have worked with some weird issues though so often go with the most normal one which is Kinyonga's in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom