Incubating for 9 months

camouflage

I been incubating some nosey be eggs since June'13, temperature I been incubating at is 70 degrees so I candled the eggs today and I don't see any veins.

They are about 7 months, the eggs have a scale look to them, are they not fertile? When would you start to see if the eggs are fertile?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 135
Sorry getting ahead of myself.

Correction: the subject says 9 months but it's actually only been 7 months

Don't know fertility status.

But don't give up on them. I've had panther eggs hatch at 13 months 2x before.

70 is on the lower end. If you want to try something, try bringing them up to 79 day and letting them go back down to 70 nights. After all these months at 70, will probably trigger development...

I had a clutch laid on june 5th and look exactly like yours. They began to hatch last week and are still hatching. Good luck!

those eggs kinda look empty to me to be honest. have you noticed them getting any larger since they were laid? healthy eggs should progressively get larger as they get closer to their hatch date. personally i dont candle eggs, but at this stage I would think you wouldnt see veins any longer, most likely you would see a dark area in the egg. maybe crack one egg open to see if they are actually empty or not...

I wouldn't crack it open.

Development really doesn't occur until after diapause ends. When incubating at a constant temp, the time until that happens can vary wildly. But would be mainly the last few months before hatching. When mine took 13 months- I wouldn't have expected to see anything much going on until month 10 or so.

I'm not saying they are fertile- they do look empty. :(

But opening one won't prove anything- it will just confirm they look empty when opened too.

On the other hand, don't give up- keep them going and try my temp swings and see if that gets them developing. 7 months is sometimes very occasionally still early in if the eggs are still in a dormant state.

If they aren't fertile, it won't help to keep going of course, but on the other hand, it won't hurt to try either. They take up very little shelf space- if they were mine I'd keep going until they collapse or hatch...

Yes they have gotten bigger since they were laid, the first batch she laid 31 eggs. A few of the eggs almost doubled in size.

One of the eggs did collapsed after 4 months the rest got bigger. I separated them into two Tupperware containers 15 in each.

Two months after she laid the first batch she laid another 26 eggs but all those collapsed with in 2 months.

If I swing the temps is there a time frame I should increase then decrease the temps? And for how long?

I personally would just do day/night temp swings at this point like I mentioned and I would do them for the remainder of incubation.

What ever method you choose we can all agree 70 is too low.
Don't give up yet. Theirs still plenty of hope. :)

Back
Top Bottom