In the Dark

AnamCara

Chameleon Enthusiast
Why do chameleons sleep the second it becomes dark?

Our lights go on and off, yeah? In nature its more gradual and they could he like "o, time to go to bed."

Are their other animals that immedietly nestle in?

It doesnt seem very evolutionary advantageous. Say a large storm came in quick and darkened the sky, seems like easy pickins for the birds.

This is probably a stupid question but ima ask anyways.

Most animals have a biological clock built in. Meaning they can sense when sunrise and sunset are coming. Most chameleons settle in before the lights even go off. I know my Ambanja will.

As far as storms they can also sense the barometric pressure drop before one is coming. How they do all this I'm sure just has to do with being connected with nature. They will hide deep in a tree or bush before that comes too. Therefore not being as easy of Pickens.

My guys usually go to there sleeping spots a hour b4 the lights go out. I’ve noticed Imelda will sleep right away but Larry will do a one more around the cage b4 he goes to sleep. I find him moving around with the light off sometimes still getting to his sleeping spot

Most animals have a biological clock built in. Meaning they can sense when sunrise and sunset are coming. Most chameleons settle in before the lights even go off. I know my Ambanja will.

As far as storms they can also sense the barometric pressure drop before one is coming. How they do all this I'm sure just has to do with being connected with nature. They will hide deep in a tree or bush before that comes too. Therefore not being as easy of Pickens.

Yes I'm familiar with circadian rhythms.

My guys usually go to there sleeping spots a hour b4 the lights go out. I’ve noticed Imelda will sleep right away but Larry will do a one more around the cage b4 he goes to sleep. I find him moving around with the light off sometimes still getting to his sleeping spot

Mona does not. Her light is 7-7. Part of the year the light outside is pretty bright when it goes off. she starts to head "to bed" once the light turns off. For moving and transporting it's common to "make it dark they will just sleep" but this is not the same for say, a dog or a cat. (I know they're mammals.)

Again--just doesnt seem to be the most evolutionary beneficial.

My Cham is outside and he will usually be asleep right after the sun sets but there is still light. He is usually awake right before the sunrises and it’s full light.

As far as storms, I’ve never seen him sleep when it gets super cloudy he just kinda hides from the rain.

Yeah I've been in the mountains and a storm comes on fast and fast as s*** it's almost "night". Also been in tropical storms in central American where the sky goes BLACK for some rain storms.

Youd think with how insane their eyes are they'd see in the dark like WOAH.

Yeah I've been in the mountains and a storm comes on fast and fast as s*** it's almost "night". Also been in tropical storms in central American where the sky goes BLACK for some rain storms.

Youd think with how insane their eyes are they'd see in the dark like WOAH.
My first Cham I found in my backyard, I put him in a make shift cage. It was after dark and I went to check on him...sound asleep. I thought he was dead because he didn’t budge and he was stiff. I always thought it was weird they fall asleep in any position, like a narcoleptic lol. As far as their eyes being so complex you would think they could see in the dark but they have such little pupils they prob have terrible night vision. :confused:

My first Cham I found in my backyard, I put him in a make shift cage. It was after dark and I went to check on him...sound asleep. I thought he was dead because he didn’t budge and he was stiff. I always thought it was weird they fall asleep in any position, like a narcoleptic lol. As far as their eyes being so complex you would think they could see in the dark but they have such little pupils they prob have terrible night vision. :confused:

I agree I was kidding about the eyes because on an earlier thread I said that someone told me their eyes can zoom :LOL:

Youd think with how insane their eyes are they'd see in the dark like WOAH
Well seeing that they aren’t nocturnal animals they won’t have the ability to. If they actually started up at night then yeah of course they would eventually over time be about to see at night but we aren’t there

Well seeing that they aren’t nocturnal animals they won’t have the ability to. If they actually started up at night then yeah of course they would eventually over time be about to see at night but we aren’t there

Refer to my last post. I make bad jokes I guess!

They do seem to know when it is bedtime. Don't know if it is due to repetition or daylight as my veiled is on his night night branch at 6:30pm and lights go out at 7:00. Just sits and stares like"ok im ready".Its not even dark yet but he has a wrap around tarp that makes it that way. Funny to watch just how precise the timing can be.Don't have to worry about sleep walking as its LIGHTS OUT.

Back
Top Bottom