In need of some opinions! New Owner!

Blake25

I have had my Veiled Chameleon for about 2 months. So far, so good. I originally named “him” Napoleon, but I do believe I have a female on my hands. Can anyone double check the sex for me? Also, I changed my enclosure around today and added new plants/vines. While doing so my chameleon hissed and screeched at me for the first time. Usually it is very calm and will come out to climb on me around the same time of the day every day. It also eats out of my hand and if I hold its food up out of my fingers. Today though, after it hissed at me while changing the enclosure it has now started this swaying/shaking pattern while it climbs or moves around it’s enclosure. Is it possible that I stressed it out while changing things? Is it normal? It seems to be a pretty healthy Chameleon. I’m not sure how old it is because when I got it from the pet store it wasn’t a baby anymore. I’ve done a lot of research but I don’t feel like I can ever get enough. Any advice or input helps. I bought a chameleon kit pictured. I dust crickets, mealworms and wax worms with calcium every other feeding. Have a fogger, dripper, and mist my chameleon three times a day. I can send a video of the shaking to anyone who is willing to take a look! Thanks y’all!!

Attachments

• 73A18E1A-39C2-463C-9985-9CE46B216FA2.jpeg
    73A18E1A-39C2-463C-9985-9CE46B216FA2.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 95EB87AA-AC0E-4396-87D4-06CCA4D04CB8.png
    95EB87AA-AC0E-4396-87D4-06CCA4D04CB8.png
    227.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 737A270A-C03E-41FA-95A3-8BFDA45D1C70.jpeg
    737A270A-C03E-41FA-95A3-8BFDA45D1C70.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 146
not good with sexing a cham but the chameleon kits are usually pretty bad so you will have to upgrade to a bigger size soon most likely

In the photo is she flattening and basking or is that how big her belly normally is? If so she has eggs and needs a lay bin.

Also mealworms and wax worms are treats not a staple feeder. You need something like silkworms, hornworms, black soldier fly larvae or roaches to go with the crickets as a everyday variety staple feeder.

Also mealworms and wax worms are treats not a staple feeder. You need something like silkworms, hornworms, black soldier fly larvae or roaches to go with the crickets as a everyday variety staple feeder.
Thank you for your reply! My chameleon was under the basking light and was a little puffed up. Normally it is a little thin. Sometimes it worries me that maybe I’m doing something wrong!

She looks like a male to me.
Does he have little nubs (spurs) on the back of his back feet?

What kind of lighting do you have? If you want to, you can fill out the "how to ask for help" form and we can review your husbandry to make sure everything is good to go! ☺

not good with sexing a cham but the chameleon kits are usually pretty bad so you will have to upgrade to a bigger size soon most likely
[/I am in the starting process of building my own enclosure. Thank you for your reply though!

She looks like a male to me.
Does he have little nubs (spurs) on the back of his back feet?

What kind of lighting do you have? If you want to, you can fill out the "how to ask for help" form and we can review your husbandry to make sure everything is good to go! ☺
That is why I questioned myself. I didn’t notice any spurs. I may have a better picture of hind legs. I have the lighting that came in the chameleon kit, it is a 5.0 UBV bulb and a 60w daylight bulb. Basking spot is from 82-90 depending on which branch it is one and lowest temp gets to about 68 at night. Humidity is anywhere from 50-80% throughout the day.

Thank you for your reply! My chameleon was under the basking light and was a little puffed up. Normally it is a little thin. Sometimes it worries me that maybe I’m doing something wrong!

That is good then they should flatten out like that when basking. If that is the case then the egg thing is nothing to worry about.

That is why I questioned myself. I didn’t notice any spurs. I may have a better picture of hind legs. I have the lighting that came in the chameleon kit, it is a 5.0 UBV bulb and a 60w daylight bulb. Basking spot is from 82-90 depending on which branch it is one and lowest temp gets to about 68 at night. Humidity is anywhere from 50-80% throughout the day.
First picture from when I first got it, second picture is last week during some out of cage time

Attachments

• 001EC6A4-6370-49CB-BEE2-21DD3293F6B0.jpeg
    001EC6A4-6370-49CB-BEE2-21DD3293F6B0.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 112
  • A130701D-A2A9-4389-8A18-25270535F749.jpeg
    A130701D-A2A9-4389-8A18-25270535F749.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 108
I have no clue why they put those lights in the kits for chameleons, but I bought one when I first started this hobby too.
You will want to get a T5 because the current light you have does not provide adequate UV for chameleons.
If you want to fill out the form, it couldnt hurt. ☺ I can post it if youd like.

Some say spurs dont always matter but i can see spurs on your climbing face photo for sure. That along with the big veil and coloring i would say male.

I have no clue why they put those lights in the kits for chameleons, but I bought one when I first started this hobby too.
You will want to get a T5 because the current light you have does not provide adequate UV for chameleons.
If you want to fill out the form, it couldnt hurt. ☺ I can post it if youd like.
I will definitely do both! Thank you!

Btw the climbing/shaking, i assume you mean he is going forward and backwards while moving? If so that is normal. But post a video to confirm if you can.

To post a video, you have to upload it to youtube or equvilent and post the link here.

He looks a little dehydrated to me. You may want to get some hornworms and silkworms for him. He looks like he can eat the big ones.
Also, you probably want to get a fecal done, that is around $60 at my local VCA. Just to double check there are no parasites and he is healthy.
He does look good to me.

Back
Top Bottom