Improving my drainage system

So - I was really in a rush to get a drainage system and I thought I did really well honestly (but I am also the least creative person!!), but it really isn’t working that well and idk how to improve it. Basically, I made a hole in the reptibreeze bottom and inserted one of those cheap sink drains that prevents clogging. The water then drops into a bucket. My problem is that nothing is on a tilt, so any water that lands further away from the drain never ends up going into it and I’m left with puddles around the enclosure, unless they land basically directly into the drain. Definitely not good for my chameleon. The bucket is big enough that I could possibly do the entire bottom of my cham’s enclosure as some mesh or something I guess? Any ideas? Has anyone solved this problem? - I also need it to be travel friendly since I am a college student.

The one with the ridges?
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiBreeze-Substrate-X-Large/dp/B0164R03RW

Not great. OK... A couple of "fixes" come to mind.
  1. Drill another drain at the bottom of one side, and raise the 2 corners opposite about a 1/4". This will give you a 1/8" pitch. It'll tilt your enclosure slightly, but should be barely noticeable. This is essentially what I did on my double-wide, and it's working fine.

2. Try another different drain pan. Those available on amazon usually come with drain fittings.
    Again, you'll have to establish 1/8" pitch. Those with center drains: check if they're pitched toward the center or not. Some are more flexible than others.

I use a cement mixing tub to catch the water and I use a cut piece of pvc to raise one side of the bottom plastic so its slanted and drains into the cement mixing tub.

Hi so I'm lucky to be able get tray i have in the uk but can members in the us not get shower tray that will solve this issue

Hi so I'm lucky to be able get tray i have in the uk but can members in the us not get shower tray that will solve this issue
A shower basin costs several times what a simple drain pan costs. Yes, we can get plastic or metal drain pans in just about any size. Making sure they'll fit properly under Brand X enclosure is a different matter. Sometimes have to go 2" larger in each direction.

The one with the ridges?
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiBreeze-Substrate-X-Large/dp/B0164R03RW

Not great. OK... A couple of "fixes" come to mind.
  1. Drill another drain at the bottom of one side, and raise the 2 corners opposite about a 1/4". This will give you a 1/8" pitch. It'll tilt your enclosure slightly, but should be barely noticeable. This is essentially what I did on my double-wide, and it's working fine.

2. Try another different drain pan. Those available on amazon usually come with drain fittings.
    Again, you'll have to establish 1/8" pitch. Those with center drains: check if they're pitched toward the center or not. Some are more flexible than others.
I use a cement mixing tub to catch the water and I use a cut piece of pvc to raise one side of the bottom plastic so its slanted and drains into the cement mixing tub.

Can’t believe I wouldn’t think of this lol.. thanks! So with raising it, there’s no problems with feeders escaping at all right?

Can’t believe I wouldn’t think of this lol.. thanks! So with raising it, there’s no problems with feeders escaping at all right?
I haven't seen an enclosure yet that's 100% feeder-escape-proof.
Most escape paths can be addressed with some kind of tape, UF or silicone crack fillers, etc., but even then... 🤷‍♂️
Type of feeder run you use can help some, along with not leaving bugs in the enclosure overnight.

I got a “pet loo” that’s supposed to be for dogs but works perfect for me. I do have to drain it every couple days (which I don’t mind) but I guess if you get a shop vac you can just suck out the catchment tray. Oh, and I use it without the fake grass. 😊

Attachments

• 10EE39CA-BF99-4004-8C52-ACDD762061D1.png
    10EE39CA-BF99-4004-8C52-ACDD762061D1.png
    294.6 KB · Views: 147
Back
Top Bottom