Improving Environment

hcinic

This week I worked on upgrading Max's (panther cham) it home. I bought 2 more plants to add shade and raise humidity; also added a fake vine up top for a little extra shade near the top of the cage. My house gets a little warm in the afternoon, when you live at the beach, AC isn't always standard, but a sea breeze is, so I have to be very concious of temps. So I raised the light about six more inches off the cage and added another temp. gauge at a lower spot to keep track of slightly cooler areas down lower in the cage. I also put 4 bendable jungle vines for more climbing terrane up top. Check it out and see what you think.

I immediatley noticed higher humidity levels in the cage after I added more plants. Max seems to love the new climbing vines too. Today I noticed when he is chillin, he stayed a little darker in the early day, maybe soaking up heat, he has been eating today. Up until 2 p.m. the temp. in the cage is about 75 to 85 and then later, until maybe 5:30 it gets warm, from 85 to 90 and the highest basking zone would be at about at the highest point in the cage would be at about 95 I guess (this is only from 3 to 5 o'clock when it is this hot). It isn't ever stuffy because I have windows open in the room and he is in a screened enclose so he gets fresh air. I mist regularly and he has a dripper, etc. Any thoughts on the temps? Is a dark basking cham a happy one?

Last edited:
Scrap those temperature and Humidity dials. They are far from accurate.
You can still ad more vines, veggitation, wood to the top portion of the cage.
Make sure the upper vines are faily stable- they look flimsy.

imo. Good luck.

Will Hayward said:
You can still ad more vines, veggitation, wood to the top portion of the cage.
Make sure the upper vines are faily stable- they look flimsy.

imo. Good luck.

Right on, I plan on adding more soon... The vines are tied to the screen on the cage...
I don't know what you mean about scrap the temperature and humidity dials???

Your cage is looking good.

hcinic said:
...then later, until maybe 5:30 it gets warm, from 85 to 90 and the highest basking zone would be at about at the highest point in the cage would be at about 95
I assume this temperature increase is due to the sun and a window facing west. If you chameleon shows any signs that it is too hot, you may need to make some small changes.

Will Hayward said:
What do you recommend? I use a tempgun for temps and a cheap digital stick for humidity.

Open mouth, constanly dark, contantly light pale colours.

See, you bulb produces UV AND heat at the same time. Just as the sun would. However, many people who use separate light/UV and Heat sources find it easier for their chameleons to regulate their heat/UV intake, as they may need seperate amounts of each...

Although since MV bulbs (Like the one you have) are the closest simulation to real sun that is available, you should be fine if you watch closely and take accurate measurments.

i had one of those temp gauges and it was way off. almost killed Sonic that dial temp said 110 f i thought i fried Sonic and my regular glass thermometer was reading 90 f, then i got 2 digital ones ,one cost $12.50 at lowes it got temp/humidity/min/max/memory and it works good.

Cool, thanks for the tips everyone, I invested in a digital one today and I much happier with the results. I was most suprised by how low the humidity was, only 40%!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom