impaction?

winterbones

Hi all, my 1 and a half year old male veiled has lost his appetite recently, and has started looking swollen around his bum with something crusty in it. Is this impaction?

I'm on my phone just now so will fill out the info form later when I'm home, but his temps/uvb/humidity/cage/calcium are all perfect and I don't feed him mealworms etc with hard shells.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20130822_145453.jpg
    IMG_20130822_145453.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_20130822_145447.jpg
    IMG_20130822_145447.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_20130822_143245.jpg
    IMG_20130822_143245.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 552
He could be impacted, or it could be infection or he could have a sperm plug that doesn't want to come out.

I suggest a drop or two of mineral oil to help get stuff out if he is indeed impacted.

lots of hydration may help as well.

Have you ever seen red things (AKA his hemepenes) hanging out of his butt for any extended period of time?

He could be impacted, or it could be infection or he could have a sperm plug that doesn't want to come out.

I suggest a drop or two of mineral oil to help get stuff out if he is indeed impacted.

lots of hydration may help as well.

Have you ever seen red things (AKA his hemepenes) hanging out of his butt for any extended period of time?

Thanks for the reply. I'll try the mineral oil. I tried bathing him today as I've seen people recommend it before for impaction. It went well, but still swollen. I've increased his misting from 4 times a day to 6 and he had a shower yesterday also.

He's only had his hemepenes out twice to hump my hand, never any issues with it, except he's only ever had one come out, not both. It looked perfectly healthy though, and no issue retracting it. It's also never came out when pooping.

Hi all, sorry I've been without my laptop for a few days as it needed the screen replaced.

I found out that it was a backlog of sperm plug. I managed to soften it enough to pull it out, but a little was left over.

Put him in for a bath today to try ease out the erst, and what does he do? He masturbates some more! I was in stiches. Managed to get the rest out of him whilst he was "busy". A little blood came out, which I'm assuming came from a small cut as the sperm was pretty hard and dry. He seems perfectly happy and healthy now.

Got a video of him masturbating, which I'll upload soon!

Just stick his rear half under warm water for as long as you can while keeping
his front half occupied somehow.
Do this a few times a day.

Put 2 drops of mineral or olive olive oil on a cricket or some other feeder and
feed it to him.

Try to keep him as stress free as possible, even when putting him under the warm water (make sure the water is not hot).

Just stick his rear half under warm water for as long as you can while keeping
his front half occupied somehow.
Do this a few times a day.

Put 2 drops of mineral or olive olive oil on a cricket or some other feeder and
feed it to him.

Try to keep him as stress free as possible, even when putting him under the warm water (make sure the water is not hot).

Hi thanks for your reply and advice :) I commented earlier on this thread saying I resolved it with another bath. He actually enjoys baths haha. I've definitely try the oil on the feeder if he ever becomes impacted. Turns out it was just some dried sperm plug that came out no problem

Back
Top Bottom