impaction and vets

Also remove one of the heat lamps. That cage is way too small for two heat lamps. Why do you have two anyways? Can you post a pic of him please?

Last edited:
Sick Chameleon Pictures For Vet

Pictures of my sick chameleon for the vet. Sorry if I did something wrong my first time uploading pictures.:(

Attachments

• Bubbies 101.jpg
    Bubbies 101.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Bubbies 102.jpg
    Bubbies 102.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 164
  • Bubbies 103.jpg
    Bubbies 103.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 212
  • Bubbies 104.jpg
    Bubbies 104.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 184
I'm def no vet, but you should take that female panther to a herp vet asap no questions asked.

She looks super underweight, dehydrated, eyes closed, possible mouth rot, maybe MBD, egg bound, etc.

She needs to be checked out so you know exactly what to care for and how to treat it so she can be taken care of. Last month I seen a cham exactly like yours in this same condition at pets club.

Pictures of my sick chameleon for the vet. Sorry if I did something wrong my first time uploading pictures.:(

Well here's a missing piece of the puzzle to everyone who has helped with the thread! Camoflauge posted some pictures for me to take a look at since his cham is still having problems. Being female changes some things!

While she was at the vet did they see eggs on the X-ray? If she needs to lay eggs that can cause symptoms like not eating and constipation. And if that is the cause she is in serious danger. Any chance you can post the X-ray pictures here?

I am so confused ive had this cham since it was a baby, old enough to be shipped. I took the cham to the vet multiple times. He said nothing about that stuff. :confused::eek: Can I send the cham to ferret in my shoes?
I dont think my vets know what they're doing! One of them said he should LICK HIS EYES???!!!

Just like chickens chameleons can produce infertile eggs without ever even being near a male as early as at 5-6 months of age. Some chameleons never will, but the vast majority of them do. You will need to provide an appropriate size and depth laying bin to encourage your female to lay her eggs. This is an excellent blog by Jannb with additional information. If your female will not or cannot lay her eggs she could become egg-bound, which is a life threatening condition. Do not let your female go too long after she should have laid her eggs. If she appears too weak to lay her eggs get her immediate veterinary care asap. If caught in time there are medical interventions that can help her to lay on her own. If it too late she will need to have a c-section to remove the eggs.

Call your vet and inform them that your chameleon is actually female and ask them if they see any eggs on the x-ray. If there are no eggs then that is a huge thing we don't have to worry about.

Ive had the cham to the vet multiple times. One of them said the cham should lick his eyes?! Correct me if im wrong but that does not sound like a chameleon more like a gecko. :confused:

Yeah geckos do that. Chameleons do not. Ever. Unfortunately chameleons do many things differently than regular reptiles. Not all vets are familiar enough with chameleons specifically to know exactly what to look for. Some don't even usually work with reptiles. And if they do they extrapolate what they know from more common species, which doesn't always apply to chameleons.

Meh...Too lazy to read all the posts, but Metoclopramide is used induce peristalsis IE: the rumbling in your tummy (Basically what moves waste down the intestine.). It helps so that the little dude could defecate. Do not feed meal worms, they don't digest well. I guess they have too much of an exoskeleton... Hope he gets better.

Woa...Hold up! I just read the thread thoroughly. Dude, that is a female panther as others have said. It is most likely egg bound and definitely dehydrated. Heat is way high, etc. Basically what everyone else is telling you. Change your vet man. I would not give the cham the metoclopramide and I would rush to have it checked by a reputable vet. Try some sunlight man, natural sunshine...good luck.

I don't know if this goes with chameleons too but other lizards like the bearded dragon will keep their mouth open in order to escape heat from their body. Yous chameleons cage is too hot

Back
Top Bottom