Impact of too high humidity

Progrmor

Hi. My humidity have been spiking to about 89% after misting so I had to leave her cagedoor open.

What can the impact be on the cham being in too high humidity? I´ve noticed that she is spending more time down in the cage than high up, specially after misting. I got a laybox for her incase thats the problem.

It can spike, but I don't think it is best to have it constantly stay at the same level. High humidity can breed bacteria and mold and that can cause health problems. I live in Florida and our humidity is super high during most of the months of the year here. The difference is I am housing the chameleons outside where they are breathing fresh air. When you have a confined area(especially if you are using glass) you just have to be careful about creating excessive humid and damp conditions.

Your humidity needs to go up and down during the day. Your viv needs to dry out between mistings. I mist four times a day.:)

The problem isn't so much the humidity itself, it's the things that the humidity coupled with poor ventilation can cause to fester ala bacteria. There are parts of the world that have high humidity throughout most of the day; some even all day and some species of Chams thrive in it. The difference is the open air doesn't allow for bacteria to thrive. I wouldn't worry too much about your cage's humidity; worry more about sitting/pools of water that may accumulate and that don't dry out in a reasonable amount of time. They're a petri dish for all kinds of nasty stuff.

Back
Top Bottom