I'm Torn! Help me decide.

KTown333

I have made a nice new enclosure that has 2, 24x24x48 spaces in it. For a bit now I had been planning on getting 2 Ambilobes. One male and one female and breeding them. I think breeding would be really interesting and fun. I am just a little nervous of all the extra work and stress of the eggs and preping the egg laying bin. And if they do all hatch what to do with them then. Can you sell them on the forums here like I see some people doing? Or my other option is to just get two cool males. Prob a Sambava or Faly. These will be my first Chams, but I have been researching for over 3 months so I am not just jumping into this. What do you guys think? I need some advice. Dive in and try breeding? or just get two males and enjoy them? Is breeding that much harder or stressful/expensive? Thank you so much for anyone who reads and responds. Greatly appreciated~

~Garrett

I would personally go for Jacksons if I wanted to breed since they're a live bearing species, which I think is very interesting.

If you decide not to breed, I'd get a Sambava and Ambanja just to have a color constrast. Screameleons has some awesome preojects of many different panthers and I have two favorites on their site. I have an Ambilobe and he is GREAT in all regards. I think you just have to decide whether you want to breed and have the time or just go ahead and get some cool guys :D Either way, you'll end up with a collection :D

And what Carol says, I'd first become a master!

I would try your hand at chameleon keeping for awhile before you even think about breeding. Master that first and then consider breeding later. As far as the two males, you are not planning on housing them together are you? If they are babies it can be done but at about 4 months or so they should be separated.

I'd start with just 1 male, that would give you some time to adjust (keeping these guys can be more work than you might be expecting). after you got a handle on that for the most part, rethink what you want to do. you might want another male, or maybe another species (like I did) or maybe a female.

I'm with carol about breeding I wouldn't jump into in to quick, and defanitly not right off the bat.

there's no doubt you'll want more than one, but IMO one is good to start with, time for you and them to adjust, and also allows you to really pay attention to THAT one.

I agree with Carol and Stanly. Start with one chameleon and if you do well with one then get another and if you do well with two then down the road you can thing about breeding. Chameleons are expensive to keep and babies are really expensive so be sure to have a nice savings account first.

You should get an Ambilobe, I think their colors are amazing!

Here's the sire of one I just received...
5792304460_5605a1b83d_b.jpg

Thank you for the input guys. I assumed most would say start with only 1 but I have a really nice set up made for 2 now and I think I am going to go for the two males and see if I love it enough to breed. The chams will be well taking care of because I have been reading the forums prepairing and learning/practicing, even helping noobies on the forum who know nothing. Once I post some pics of the cage set up I built and DIY watering system you will see I am very serious about taking care of these guys and am very ocd with getting everything right and organized. I want to do the best I can. That is one beautiful sire:eek: Thank you guys for the input and I wont let ya down:D Pictures coming soon!!!

Back
Top Bottom