I'm thoroughly confused...

extrajordinary

Established Member
So I have checked other threads, but I'm still confused. My boyfriend is working from home today and he sent me this photo of Leo's (presumably) urates. I was worried because this is the orange-iest I've ever seen his urates...but then I noticed the white portion below the orange part. I told my boyfriend to leave it so I could investigate further when I get home from work, but I figured I'd ask for opinions in the meantime. Any idea what's going on? I gave him 3 hornworms a few days ago. Could that be why his urates look like this?

Attachments

• 58023147684__C9100BE4-5DFA-4476-A7EC-56CBAFDF1D05.jpeg
    58023147684__C9100BE4-5DFA-4476-A7EC-56CBAFDF1D05.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 115
The hornworms shouldn't make his urates orange, I'd expect the opposite effect. A little orange at the top of the otherwise white urate is normal, but mostly orange points to dehydration. Can you post a pic of the cham? I'm sure everyone will want you to fill out the health form, too.

I know my new guys had a bit of orange in their first poops after coming home with me... but I'm sure it was stress from transporting/moving them. They've been fine after the first week, pooping like champs! As @Brodybreaux25 said, nothing to worry about unless its chronic.

The hornworms might cause slightly runnier poop from the moisture, but also not something to worry about if its occasional.

Here’s a picture of it when I picked it up this afternoon. He has an automatic mister and a fogger and I spray him occasionally so I’m thinking there’s no way he’s dehydrated. Thinking maybe it’s stress since he did just get moved and the vet he saw just last week said he’s not dehydrated. I’ll keep an eye on it. Thanks all!

Attachments

• 8AE78D64-58CF-43CC-AC50-164EDF64EF7E.jpeg
    8AE78D64-58CF-43CC-AC50-164EDF64EF7E.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 49
I think it is more then likely due to him just being moved into his new enclosure. Did you provide a drip system as well? He may be still trying to figure out the new enclosure. It could be he needs more branches to move around to water sources easier.
I’m going to bring his dripper from the previous cage home tomorrow, if I don’t forget again.

Back
Top Bottom