I'm THAT lady...

NikkiA

Avid Member
Today, I went into a big chain pet store to purchase filters for our fish tanks. Behind me there was a group of five teenage boys, I could hear their conversation. They were trying to decide on the lighting that they should purchase for their chameleon, of course everything they were picking was wrong. I generally don't insert myself into people's conversations, but I couldn't help myself this time. ALL of the supplies they were picking were wrong.

The enclosure they had picked was a small sized terrarium like tank used for things like tree frogs and such. The decorations were not chameleon appropriate. I started to asking them questions, the first about the type of chameleon that they were shopping for, to my dismay a Jackson's chameleon was hanging from one of their shirts. I didn't orginally see it because he was under the teen's coat (it's was only 34 degrees here).

I gave them a run down of all the required supplies. I think I said, "... or he WILL die," at least 10 times. I could tell they were distracted with being "cool". I urged them to go to a store that actually had the supplies needed and I tried to give them tips about which local stores had the best deals. They were halfway listening to my rundown, but they left without purchasing the inappropriate supplies. I believe that they were headed to a local reptile store which does carry most of the appropriate supplies.

I couldn't stop thinking about it after I got home and obviously I am still thinking about it. I feel really bad for the chameleon. They told me he was shipped from an online store. It makes me sad to think that they didn't research what was required to take care of an exotic pet or have ANYTHING set up for its arrival. I even had to tell them how a chameleon drinks. ☹ I really hope that they are able to step it up and take care of him appropriately.

Today, I went into a big chain pet store to purchase filters for our fish tanks. Behind me there was a group of five teenage boys, I could hear their conversation. They were trying to decide on the lighting that they should purchase for their chameleon, of course everything they were picking was wrong. I generally don't insert myself into people's conversations, but I couldn't help myself this time. ALL of the supplies they were picking were wrong.

The enclosure they had picked was a small sized terrarium like tank used for things like tree frogs and such. The decorations were not chameleon appropriate. I started to asking them questions, the first about the type of chameleon that they were shopping for, to my dismay a Jackson's chameleon was hanging from one of their shirts. I didn't orginally see it because he was under the teen's coat (it's was only 34 degrees here).

I gave them a run down of all the required supplies. I think I said, "... or he WILL die," at least 10 times. I could tell they were distracted with being "cool". I urged them to go to a store that actually had the supplies needed and I tried to give them tips about which local stores had the best deals. They were halfway listening to my rundown, but they left without purchasing the inappropriate supplies. I believe that they were headed to a local reptile store which does carry most of the appropriate supplies.

I couldn't stop thinking about it after I got home and obviously I am still thinking about it. I feel really bad for the chameleon. They told me he was shipped from an online store. It makes me sad to think that they didn't research what was required to take care of an exotic pet or have ANYTHING set up for its arrival. I even had to tell them how a chameleon drinks. ☹ I really hope that they are able to step it up and take care of him appropriately.
I’m grateful you corrected them! Now if they actually use that information, sadly no one knows, unless of course they come on here later; either with worst case scenario of wondering why their chameleon isn’t healthy or best case scenario of showing off proper husbandry after a nice person helped them out

Thank you! I really do hope that they use the information I gave them in that short rundown, but more than that, I hope they are inspired to research more to give their chameleon the best chance at a good life.

I didn't realize when I got into this hobby that I would be giving so many chameleon 101 talks, lol. Most of the conversations occur naturally when I take my kids to a pet store and we are looking at the chameleons. Last month, my five year old gave an employee at a chain pet store a whole run down about how to tell the sex of a panther chameleon. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom