I'm sort of back!

Carlton

Chameleon Enthusiast
HI everyone,

Well, I am in my new house still surrounded by stacks of boxes and partially assembled furniture. The move had its moments of frustration, exhaustion, and a bit of terror too. The movers showed up at my house a day early...answered the front door at the crack of dawn in my pajamas to see 2 beefy guys in sweats ready to start work. Then I worked at a flat run to grab what I needed for myself and the pets before it got buried in a box. Ended up with mismatched socks, less than great shoes, no raincoat, no movies for the trip, and one dull book to read. Broke my toe, so the shoes I did have didn't fit. Then the day of my ferry trip started off at 4 am with an earthquake. Just as everyone dozed off again another one hit. Up here there is always the worry about a tsunami hitting something important like the ferry dock. The ferry trip lasted 5 days crossing the Gulf of Alaska and the expected stress cold showed up right on time:mad:. It howled (gusting to 60 knots), knocked us around (seas up to 22 feet), and made the passengers slightly miserable for 3 of the 5 days. Dogs have to stay in your car and the crew lets you go down to feed and walk them every 8 hours weather permitting....I'm glad my dog isn't a puppy, as they didn't let us go down to the car deck very often due to the rough seas. Anyway, just about all most people could do was take naps during the worst. Hard to read or concentrate on anything other than not falling on your face.

Anyway, stayed in a mom and pop hotel for about 10 days waiting for the household stuff to arrive by truck. The weather was lovely until the truck arrived, then it began to rain. The movers and I were in T shirts in the rain until 7 pm, but at least everything got indoors. Pets and I are now in the same place.

I have this wonderful thing called internet from home (the first time for me!), so hopefully I can re-join the rest of you and lend an opinion whether or not anyone wants to hear it :rolleyes:.

Great to hear, sounds like you have quite an intersting life! I remember when i started posting here a year ago. you offered me cork bark when i was having trouble finding it haha. was wondering where you went

Welcome back, and your opinions are always enjoyed, at least by me. Glad you survived that move - sounds like sheer torture for me, but I got seasick just reading your description, so there you go. Enjoy making your new home yours.

I'm a pretty good sailor but it was hard to concentrate on birdwatching, reading, movies, photography, or think about eating. Biologist friends kept telling me to look out for unusual seabirds but the closest I got to identifying anything rare was "chances are its probably some type of shearwater" (shearwater species look very similar and they are usually found in huge straggling flocks all mixed together) before losing my balance or dropping my binoculars. Not an ancient murrelet or a rhinoceros auklet to take credit for.

To make up for that, my new property seems to be a crossroad for a number of moose. Moose are big no matter where you find them, but I've heard that they grow them extra large on the Kenai Peninsula. I have identified at least 5 individuals over the past couple of days. One very large momma with month old twin calves spends a lot of time browsing at the edge of my front lawn. She does not tolerate anything coming near her babies and charges at you with hackles raised, ears flat to her head, kicking and growling. Luckily my cattledog is quite timid and doesn't even think of trying to herd them. We also have a lot of sandhill cranes around. These 4' tall birds have their own surly nature too. They are nesting right now and the males are territorial and rather belligerent. I have had to trap and put leg bands on them in the past and they are no picnic. Fun to see and hear them soaring the thermals overhead however.

Great to hear, sounds like you have quite an intersting life! I remember when i started posting here a year ago. you offered me cork bark when i was having trouble finding it haha. was wondering where you went
All that cork bark ended up being donated to the Colorado Reptile Humane Society along with a bunch of other herp-related stuff I wasn't going to use. So, its going to get used! I don't plan on having more herps here as there is really no vet support outside Anchorage which is a 4-5 hour drive in good weather.

We have sandhill cranes down here in Florida too, so I'm guessing either it's a different subspecies that's crazy enough to like the cold, or they summer with you and winter with us. Enjoy the moose, not sure how I'd feel having them that close, but it should make for good photo ops anyway!

It is so nice to see you back Allison! I have been wondering how things were going. I thought our move was hectic but what a long and crazy ordeal you've been through. At least you are there now and can start to settle in. You'll have to take long breaks and log on the forums. We have missed you!!!!

We have sandhill cranes down here in Florida too, so I'm guessing either it's a different subspecies that's crazy enough to like the cold, or they summer with you and winter with us

My understanding is that like Canadian geese, some just decided not to migrate back. The sand hill cranes in florida are arctic birds :).

We missed you Allison! Can't wait for some cool moose pics :D.

My understanding is that like Canadian geese, some just decided not to migrate back. The sand hill cranes in florida are arctic birds :).

[/QUOTE

So what you are saying, is that the Sand Hill Cranes are Snow Birds! :ROFLMAO: OK, guess maybe that's only funny if you live down here...

That's funny, but I was going to say that, but wasn't sure if enough people would get it. They are more like Sand Hill Crackers :D.

Back
Top Bottom