Im Ready (I think to introduce a male and female)

If I was unfair and did not read your intentions correctly then I am sorry. As a moderator I do try to keep strong opinions to my self but in your case, I was not able to do so. I reacted to the not finding the chams interesting and what to do about that. Most of us a held captive just watching the behaviors and learning about chameleons for what they are.

I have issues with new people wanting to breed before they fully understand the chameleons they are caring for. I will buy adults at 14 or 15 months and not breed them for many more months until I am familiar with those chameleons, not just the species, but with the 2 chameleons I plan to breed. I like to consider myself a responsible keeper. My slam a pet stores is based on years of seeing how most - but not all - stores keep chams. Daily on this forum we see people go into petstores and come out wanting to rescue, not buy, but rescue the chameleons from the conditions and health issues caused by neglect while living at a pet store.

The fastest way to get me to react is wanting to breed prior to knowing what you are doing and having as a goal to sell the babies to petstores. We have breeders who deal with reptile stores, but they know who they are dealing with. We also have people who spend lots of time locating good homes for any babies they produce.

If your desire is to learn and become knowledgeable about these wonderful creatures, you will find this forum to be very supportive and helpful. If you are seen as using chameleons as disposable and need to work at being interested then - well not so much so.

Maybe we both need to start again. I said I would sound like a witch so you would understand that I was trying to say what I meant and knew it would sound harsh. If I had understood you correctly, and it seems I did not, I would still stand by every word I said. I do want to say again these are my opinions- not a representation of this forum.

I usually breed all my animals. Fish, birds, horses, dogs, hamsters and I always wait until they're sexually mature. You just have to think about what's best for your animal in the long run. I do admit I bred my veiled at 9-10 months old because that's when I thought they matured. That was before I joined and actually took part in the forums.
Don't take anything to heart instead just take the advice. That's why I provided my first analogy without judgement for this reason, because everyone is on the same page when breeding a young chameleon.

You said..."The other 2 things you mentioned. When and if you have time, educate me as I'm not yet familiar with either"...what 2 things are you referring to?

pssh said..."many of us leave a tub of laying medium in the enclosure. Some girls will lay in the actual tubs and some will not. The ones that won't usually show signs of digging in the bins and then are transferred into a much larger bin that they will be housed in until they are done laying. The tub in the cage should be at least 12x12x8 or so"...leaving the container in the cage gives the female a place to dig to show you when she's ready to lay eggs so that you don't miss the sometimes subtle indications and push her towards eggbinding.

You mentioned studying 4 health issues. The eyes the bones and then 2 other issues. I'm interested to know what to look for as signs of the bone issue and the other two I was hoping you could fill me in on as to whey they are as I don't know about them but am eager to learn.

And for the record I said pet stores but purchased my two VC from 2 different reptile shows full of breeders. Which is what I will do when it is finally time to get my 2 to be love birds. I'm in agreement that petstores or ones that specialize in just reptiles are a last resort to purchase or sell as you will never find the healthiest animals there.

I am glad others posted prior to myself reading this.. cause i wouldn't have been nice about the subject.

dissapointed at your original mindset.

I think we have all agreed that we don't want him to breed them yet, and he has agreed to take our advice and ask for more, which is what everyone hopes for in a new forum member. I think we're all on the same page now. Let's not belabor the original point unneccesarily unless you're trying to scare him away...

MBD....signs of it include but are not limited to...crooked bones in the legs, what looks like a second elbow above the real one, flexible jaw or casque, no trunkal lifting, tremors, prolapses, etc.
Here are some photos of it...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/olatheanimalhospital/4382389576/
http://olatheanimalhospital.com/499/metabolic-bone-disease-in-a-veiled-chameleon/
http://www.ivanalfonso.com/page/3/

Follicular stasis...its an interruption in the development of the follicles. It often happens with chameleons and if it happens, the chameleon will eventually die.
http://www.bioportfolio.com/resourc...ctive-Cycles-In-Female-Veiled-Chameleons.html
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...fc4c4f9cce4eb9c3ef69a64a3c696ebf&searchtype=a

Dystocia...far too many chameleons suffer from dystocia (eggbinding) ending in death. It can be the result of bad husbandry, reproductive system deformities, deformed eggs, fused eggs, failure to provide an appropriate site for the chameleon to lay the eggs, etc.

1st Sang. Respectfully and please. Don't respond to my posts. What after all that stress last night was even the reason for your post? I wouldn't be nice? I mean really?
Anyways. Now it's time to keep my 2 VC's happy and healthy till it's to breed. Anyone have any suggestions on a proven diet to keep my girl from producing eggs or at least reduce the amount of times and amount of eggs? I did put a hook up today to raise the light up 3 in. to lower her basking temp a bit. Is this something I should do for the male as well?
Thanks in advance. I also bought the new exoterra monsoon has anyone had any experience with this?

1st Sang. Respectfully and please. Don't respond to my posts. What after all that stress last night was even the reason for your post? I wouldn't be nice? I mean really?
Anyways. Now it's time to keep my 2 VC's happy and healthy till it's to breed. Anyone have any suggestions on a proven diet to keep my girl from producing eggs or at least reduce the amount of times and amount of eggs? I did put a hook up today to raise the light up 3 in. to lower her basking temp a bit. Is this something I should do for the male as well?
Thanks in advance. I also bought the new exoterra monsoon has anyone had any experience with this?

because i have the right too.

Ethan, okay where to start, don't take things to heart, I've seen another forum member post this. I was just like this when I first joined this forum, I thought that everyone was there to gang up on me and i fought against what everyone posted, when they were giving me advice and I tried to ignore it, but deep down you have to realize that they are right, they have a lot of experience. You have to take into consideration that your Veiled's health is very important, think about how many clutches she has laid when she is only 8 months old, normally females lay about 1 infertile clutch by the time they are 8 months. I realize you want to breed, but don't do it until you know that both of your Veiled's are healthy and there isn't anything in the way of that, make sure that you have the patience to wait for the chameleons to be of age in order to breed and also that you have the patience to wait for the eggs to hatch.

Don't get upset with the other forum members when they try and help you, because when you need them the most they might now be there to help you. I hope that you understand by now and I hope that you will be able to keep this hobby and make sure that all of your current/future chameleons are healthy animals.

Good Luck that is all that I have to say.
Zac

Yes, they lay infertile eggs, just like chickens do. So even without a male it is very important to be prepared and have a place for them to be able to lay their eggs.

so preparing a laybox is something that i will need to do.....so infertile eggs will not hatch and grow into chameleons so if you are ready put the female with the male right...

Yes you need to prepare a laying bin, a deep one, about 12 inches. You need to do this because she is a female, nothing to do with mating or not.

Infertile eggs will not hatch into Chameleons.

You DO NOT just put female with a male. Any mating, when both are old enough AND receptive, needs to be carefully monitored. Mating is not when we humans want it is when, and only if the Chams are ready.

Yes you need to prepare a laying bin, a deep one, about 12 inches. You need to do this because she is a female, nothing to do with mating or not.

Infertile eggs will not hatch into Chameleons.

You DO NOT just put female with a male. Any mating, when both are old enough AND receptive, needs to be carefully monitored. Mating is not when we humans want it is when, and only if the Chams are ready.

Nicely worded clairf.

i agree with ferret and pssh, cut back on her food if she has had 2 clutches already, and if shes 8 months old i would wait until she is about 10-14 months to breed, so you know she is fully grown and is healthy enough to breed, my female veiled just laid yesterday a clutch of 62 eggs and i cut back on her food the whole time she was gravid and she laid a lot of eggs still.
can i hav ! Txt me at 17148752322

Back
Top Bottom