I'm new

Tiki

Hi,
I'm new. my son and I have a baby panther named "Tiki". I am an experienced reptile keeper but never had a panther before.
He is 2 months old and has quadrupled in size since I got him at the NY Reptile Show. He is still brown. When will he get some color?
Jim

Welcome Tiki.

Anytime now you should start seeing some colors. I would give your Panther another month to three before they start getting good color seperation. At 12-15 months they will get as bright as they are going to get. It seems like once you notice the first color everytime they shed after that you notice something new for awhile.

Hello Jim and Son.

Welcome to Chameleons. There are specific localities of panther chameleons that have evolved in the wild of Madagascar. They are usually separated by geographic boundaries such as mountains, plateaus, rivers, islands, etc. These locales (A word for 'Natural Geographic defined morph or colour phase') are also replicated in the chameleon hobby, as bloodlines are usually kept pure without crossbreeding panther chameleons from different localities. This is made difficult since females from all locales CAN look incredibly similar, and all females of this species tend to show colours such as brown, green, pink, tan, violet, and etc. You can find a huge array of colours in females within each locality- but they are very very difficult to distinguish from other regions.

And so the point, there are a few answers to your query...

Like Jordan said, he just still hasn't gotten any yet, as three months is still quite young. And you seeing him each day makes the slow colour increase seem nonexistent, where if a friend saw him two months ago, and saw him only just today again, they might be able to point out that the colour has changed.- Photos might help in this situation too...
Secondly, different panther locales, can take longer and shorter periods of time to 'colour up' The locales on the East coast of Madagascar seem to take some months longer, whereas the locales on the West coast can colour up at ages quite young.
Thirdly, Bloodlines. Males and females carrying stunning a bloodline with really incredible colour, will have offspring that can gain it quickly.
Last possibility, The chameleon you have may be a female, which vary in care slightly from males, but in my experience have a bit more personality than males do. If you post photos some educated guesses on this could be given.

Where did you acquire your little one? and what Locale was he sold as?

AND for all you Yanks, it is spelled coloUr. :p

Tiki origens

I got Tiki at the NY Reptile Show. I had reserved him from Screameleons. He is a male. He did show a bit of dark red after he shed his skin.
I have 2 Repti Sun lights running, an atomizer humidifier and a big cage with ficus and kiwi vines cut from a tree outside. I put a drip cup up 2x a day.
He is fat and happy and doing well.

Hi,
I'm new. my son and I have a baby panther named "Tiki". I am an experienced reptile keeper but never had a panther before.
He is 2 months old and has quadrupled in size since I got him at the NY Reptile Show. He is still brown. When will he get some color?
Jim
Welcome to the forum
AND for all you Yanks, it is spelled coloUr. :p

lol, it's funny how you can tell which post are from Americans and which ones are from Canadians just by how they spell colour.

Back
Top Bottom