Im new here

soggysandwich

Well i just registered today. I have one female veiled chameleon. she is about 3 yrs old. She is the only chameleon i have had. Here are a few pictures, first is her cage, second is her when i got her and the last is the most resent picture i have.
cagewh8.jpg

picture193bb1.jpg

lizard2sl4.jpg

Welcome soggy. Yes nice veiled. Cool rust colour blotches.

I couldnt help but wonder what the second light on the cage is. towards the back.

Will Hayward said:
Welcome soggy. Yes nice veiled. Cool rust colour blotches.

I couldnt help but wonder what the second light on the cage is. towards the back.
Thanks for all the compliments, that bulb is for UV lighting

soggysandwich said:
The bulb in the far back if for heat at night, i only use it in the winter when it gets cold.
How cold does it get? Chamleeons have lots of tricks to thermoregulate and I havent heard of a place that has night temperatures too low really. You chameleons is far more likely to be afected by hyperthermia than Hypothermia.

When cold, or sleeping, chameleons restrict their bloodflow to the skin by constricting the veins and slowing the heart beats. So the blood doesnt pass close to the skin and thus doesnt lose heat as much.

Hello soggysandwich, welcome to the Chameleon Forums :) :D

Your veiled looks very nice.

Will Hayward said:
How cold does it get? Chamleeons have lots of tricks to thermoregulate and I havent heard of a place that has night temperatures too low really. You chameleons is far more likely to be afected by hyperthermia than Hypothermia.

When cold, or sleeping, chameleons restrict their bloodflow to the skin by constricting the veins and slowing the heart beats. So the blood doesnt pass close to the skin and thus doesnt lose heat as much.
i dont know the exact temp, but it is pretty cold so i put it on, if she doesnt need they she will sleep where she is not affected by it.
Thanks again for the compliments

Actually, unless it's below 50 degrees, it's healthy for them. Nighttime drops will slow their metabolism down. for some species (montane species) cool nights are crucial. Veileds can benifit, but to a lesser degree.

This is a crude and general description, but it's the basic idea:
think of your chameleon as a lightbulb with a thousand hour life rating. Keep it on constantly, and it'll die at one thousand hours. If you only keep it on during the day, and shut it off at night (by cooling it down) it will last much longer. Again, it's a generalization, but it is applicable.

Where did the 50 degree limit come from Eric? Just curious to see if anyone has any research documentation.

I agree though, I have had Veileds do fine at 50F for several nights.

Soggeysandwhich I just had to say I liked your cage and your girl looks awesome and very healthy.
If you look at the average temperatures in the areas of Yemen where most of these veileds come from you see that two months out of the year temperatures can drop as low as 30's at night and high 60's during the day. Granted these are not optimal conditions for any reptile that I am aware of but they can tolerate it. Regardless of this if she 3 years old then you are doing plenty right. If that is a black light you are using I have one to it just looks cool. From all the research I have did most people say a 15 degree drop at night. They bask at 90-100 degrees, ambient temperature of 75 degrees during the day. Which ever numbers you wanted to subtract from I guess would be your answer. I don't really know which would be right but the chameleon does. Giving her options doesn't seem bad.

Back
Top Bottom