I'm just curious...

Hello, everyone. I recently got my first Chameleon as a birthday present from my wonderful boyfriend, He's a 9ish month old Senegal Chameleon named Otis and he's adjusted and doing great, much thanks to the info I've found while lurking here the past few weeks. The only possibly odd thing I've noticed about him is that he seems to prefer being handfed. By me. And only me. He won't accept food from my boyfriend, just gets stressed out. He's quite active otherwise, just lazy and spoiled when it comes to dinner, I guess. I'm not complaining, this means I can keep track of exactly how much he's eating, and besides- it's freaking adorable that he seems to favor me. I'm just curious if anybody else has a cham that plays favourites with their caretakers, or if I'm just being silly. =]

Gucci my female veiled will take a finger off if it is anyone besides me touching her my GF hates it. I hand feed Gucci fruits and vegies she loves it

Well if you are the one caring for her, she has gotten use to u and knows that you aren't going to eat her. Most of my chams will fliip out if my husband goes to pick them up because they aren't that use to him being around them as much as I am. Of course it might also depend on the colors he's wearing and if he's moving too fast.

Of course it might also depend on the colors he's wearing and if he's moving too fast.

Hit the nail on the head, its a chameleon it will not favor one person over another. The owner knows what they perfer. Having many differnt species of chams, I know each one is different so I have to deal with them differently.

Hit the nail on the head, its a chameleon it will not favor one person over another. The owner knows what they perfer. Having many differnt species of chams, I know each one is different so I have to deal with them differently.
You had to go and burst my bubble, here I was thinking Otis loved me. =/

Honestly though, I figured as much, I'm very comfortable around exotic animals, having worked with them for the past 7 years or so, whereas my boyfriend still gets very nervous when interacting with Otis. I guess that would logically explain his 'preference' for me. But I'm still going to pretend it's because he loves me most. =]

Is it a cb senegal? how do you know its age? Senegals are imported in mass numbers every year and rarely are they captive bred or hatched.

You had to go and burst my bubble, here I was thinking Otis loved me. =/

Honestly though, I figured as much, I'm very comfortable around exotic animals, having worked with them for the past 7 years or so, whereas my boyfriend still gets very nervous when interacting with Otis. I guess that would logically explain his 'preference' for me. But I'm still going to pretend it's because he loves me most. =]

I have KNOWN for ages that my chams love ME. Be it my husband or sister, my chams perfer me. My sister has had chams for many years and it better with them than I am, but almost all my chams act better with me. I think we are correct about the reason.:D:D:D

When i was married. My chams would all hand feed for me. But not for her.(used to hack her off) I think it was because of her fake fingernails. I think they didnt like the colors.

Mine isnt a strict hand feed only but when it comes down to it I think he prefers it. He is more likely to eat the worms I feed him if they're in my hand.

All three of my guys prefer me, I could be dressed like a red tomato sprinting through the room and they all still would climb out on me or eat from my hand before anyone else.

I like it, makes me feel special ;)

He does like you more then anyone else because he is used to your movements and knows you aren't out to eat him.:)

Actually this behavior is documented in senegal chameleons.
I have no doubt he favors you.
I am surprised that you have a CB one, however. They are difficult to breed in captivity and a captive bred specimen would be quite rare.

-Brad

I meant to add that my Senegal, Kami also prefers to be handfed. She can't really extend her tongue very far anymore, but she liked being handfed before that. She also likes to drink water straight from the squirt bottle. She'll drink from the dripper if I don't give her water myself, but she prefers me for some reason. No one else feeds my chams though, so I don't know how she would act if someone else tried to feed her.

I hate to burst some peoples' bubbles....but a chameleon may react to one person poorly repeatedly whether it recognizes the person or not.

That's what I throught, but stangley I am the owner of my cham but he freaks out at me most of the time these days (never used to though), even when I move slowly and it does not seem to matter what colour I wear.

But he never freaks out at my boyf who he loves climbing on and lets him get as close as he likes.

I used to take this personally, but now I think it may be because my boyf is more relaxed around him and I'm the nasty thing that moves things around his cage :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom