I'm afraid my veiled chameleon is sick

Gagebarney

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Female veiled chameleon, 6-8 months old, in my care for 3 months
Handling - Every couple of days
Feeding - 8 crickets a day after school. I buy guy loaded every now and then, I switch from super worms to crickets and feed collard greens every now and then
Supplements - rep-cal calcium with vitamin D3 twice a week, no vitamins
Watering - I have a drip system dropping into plants, mist 3-5 times a day until plants are dripping, I see her drink every few days
Fecal Description - a couple brown pellets and the white dropping with a little orange at the tip. Never been tested for parasites
History - She fell off her branch a few days ago

Cage Info:
Cage : screen cage 3 ft tall 1.5 feet wide
Lighting - 60 watt basking bulb by zoomed, zoomed 10.0 UVB light, 7 am-10 pm
Temperature - basking spot 70-75 F, overnight temp 60-65, measured by zoomed thermometer
Humidity - Don't currently measure humidity
Plants - No live plants just fake
Placement -cage is in the corner near the window no vents or fans I go in and out of my room frequently , top of my cage is about five feet from the ground its on my nightstand
Location - Idaho

Current Problem - she isn't active anymore and when she walks she drags her stomach in the ground. She is weak and wobbly, she is having trouble rolling her tail up also

Hi, I'm sorry your Cham seems poorly. You could do with changing your supplementing to plain calcium every feeding, calcium with d3 twice a month and multi vitamin twice monthly.
Also stores selling gut loaded feeders is more of a gimmic and I'd suggest you gut load your own and with more variety.
With your Cham being female and the age she is, she may need to lay eggs. They lay even without a male ( infertile ).
Have you a laying bin set up in her cage?
Check out the caresheets, jannbs blogs, sandrachameleons blogs on gut loading.
Kath.

okay thank you i will go buy some calcium and vitamin supplements and research how to gut load crickets. do you have any ideas on why she is so weak and dragging her stomach as she walks is it because the lack of calcium and vitamins? Also i set up an egg laying bin in yesterday and she hasnt done anything how long should i keep it in her cage?

Attachments

• cham.jpg
    cham.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 178
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 193
She looks very plump and more than likely carrying eggs. The laying bin should stay in all the time. Has she ventured to bottom of cage at all?
How long has she been plump and dragging her tummy?
Do you have a good vet you San go to if need be?
If you search the forums for laying bins, posts will come up to give you an idea of what's worked for others.
Kath.

okay that is good to hear im new at this and immediately jumped to MBD. I do not know of any vets in my area. I noticed her dragging herself around a few days ago and yesterday i walked in to spray her and she was laying at the bottom of the cage. I set up a laying bin yesterday in a 5 gallon bucket and have about 10 inches of soft dirt in their for her to tunnel. I also put a couple plants in the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom